• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ruger 10.22 with BSA Sweet 22 sight in day

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
20170602_182041.jpg 20170602_182041.jpg 20170609_125256.jpg 20170609_124925.jpg 20170609_124225.jpg 20170609_124209.jpg Finally took out the 10.22 to sight in after mounting scope. Ive used it with irons since 1981 ! It was time to add optic the little sights were just getting to hard for me at any distance. I purchased a BSA sweet 22 scope cheap at gander. Seemed awful inexpensive for all the options it had was hestitant but went ahead. I am pretty pleased so far scope is clear reticle is fine and paralax tuning works well. The adjustment clicks are positive. It came with three different ranging turrets i used the 40grn. I havent used that feature enough to determine how close it tracks and returns. This scope has the front paralax adjustment i believe there is a newer version with a side adjustment. It sighted in easily used a large silhouette at 50 yards to start since someone had kindly left it out there. I fired 10 shot strings. First mag was low and left i did my math made adjustment and bingo she was on. I was impressed. I shot at 25 50 and 75 yards today. Thats as far as felt like walking in this humidity. Final target was at 75 yards I pulled first shot left a scosh other 9 were spot on. So far pleased I will get out a earlier and try the turret out to maybe 150 foe test. I dont typically shoot 22 past 100 though. Anyhow so far so good and as always if you dont have a ruger 10.22 you should.
Ps shooting done from sand bags with federal automatch 40gn rn bulk ammo. Bone stock 36 yr old ruger carbine. 10 shot strings not 3 or 5.
20170609_125256.jpg 20170609_124925.jpg 20170609_124225.jpg

Last edited:
Well pulling first shot of that final 10 round group irked heck out of me on what would have been a really nice grouping. Oh well sometimes you get the bear sometimes the bear gets you.

I've got a 10/22 bought in 1999. Now I have a cheapo reflex red dot on it which works great to 35 yards. But I love the looks of your scope.
What was the cost? I've seen ads for $40 to $150.

I've got a 10/22 bought in 1999. Now I have a cheapo reflex red dot on it which works great to 35 yards. But I love the looks of your scope.
What was the cost? I've seen ads for $40 to $150.
You dont wanna know. I was doing my every couple week walk through of gander mountain since sale. One of the guys there helping me pulled it out of back. I was out the door for like 34 bucs. I believe this is an older model its has the front AO not side

Update finally really spent some time checking out scope. Im impressed. Parallax marks are very close and work well keeping things in focus at various ranges. I zeroed it awhile back and it was dead on but i had changed mounts and had to redo. Quick and easy. 50 yatd zero then put the bdc turret to test dialed to 100 was hitting exactly 1" high backed off 4 clicks spot on cool. Dialed up 150 (never shot this 22 that far) it was hitting about 1.5 low that works for me. Dialed it back to 50 on bdc turret bingo spot on. It really is SWEeT.
The bad well my old 10-22 has the 3/8 dovetail mount ugghh. Decent mounts were not really available anywhere i went when i bought scope i initial grabbed a cheap one piece by centerpoint that seemed ok it wasnt it was crap. Very poor fit on rail i think really made more for 11mm airgun rail ? Found another dovetail set at wallyworld again cheap china crap but i really wanted to get scope back on gun and shoot. After shooting this afternoon did my cleaning and normal check hmm two screws little loose(no i hadnt loctite) lemme snug em up. Gave first one lil snug and it just spun dammit it was stripped tried second loose one snap screw broke dammit man. Yes ive done this once or a thousand times before and i use a wheeler torque driver. The rings and mount just crap for dovetail 22 world. End result just ordered a one piece DNZ mount with integral rings. 50 bucs but even the 22 deserves decent mount done buying the cheesy 38 dovetail crap. Lesson relearned again.

Last edited:
1498392767436222759583.jpg Its 6a.m. update the mount debacle. After posting at 11 last night i was chatting with friend who resides in Alaska he is state trooper were my little sister lives. He laughed at me and said you do know the 1022 is pretty popular and well supported you can just pull that old dovetail rail off. Well duh ! Of course i did i just had my blinders on. He went as far as to say il bet if you go to walmart they will have a piccatiny rail or set of weavers that fit just right and if they dont il give ya the 50 bucs cost for other mount. Well its 6am just home from walmart. Hmm all done sometimes im retarded age ? Medication ? Not sure.
Alaska trooper saves the day.

Last edited:
I bought a 10/22 just after new years this year.

I have been really impressed with the gun. I don't see what I would gain by switching to one of the "more expensive" match barrels that you see for sale all the time.

The little gun shoots really good.

And like you, I did add a scope, and I also shortened the barrel and threaded it. In doing so, eliminated the front sight altogether. I used a Bushnell 1-4x shotgun scope because I don't shoot 22 at long range and I prefer very low magnification for when and how I hunt with it.

Mine came with a weaver rail, but I used a bastard file and slightly enlarged the groove so I can use picatinny mounts. Which I did. It raised the scope up more aligned with my eye without having to squish my cheek down into the stock like the TALL 22 mounts I was using. It looks a little odd, but I'm using a PEPR style mount with the scope.

The important thing is, it works.

I would prefer to keep the scope as low as possible, but I also prefer for a scope crosshairs to be right in front of my eye when I flop my head over onto the stock too.

I guess if I was shooting long distances, I'd suffer through the lower mount, but around here 75 yards is about as far as I get to shoot anyway so, speed on target is more important to height over bore since all my shooting is relatively close-in.

On my 10/22 Takedown, I replaced the rail and front sight with a Williams Ace In the Hole Sight Set (LINK). That gave me a nice peep with a bright fiber optic front sight.

Then I mounted my scope with a Weaver Tactical Thumb-Nut SPR 1-Piece Scope Mount (LINK). I can dismount the scope when I break down the rifle and it all packs neatly in the Ruger bag that came with the rifle. I have found very little, if any, deviation from dismounting and remounting the scope.

That scope mount is similar to the one I used Pawpaw. Though I chose to use one of the cheaper ebay versions. I think I paid around $15-$20 for mine.

tea party 034.JPG

We have a 10 22 that I bought my wife for Valentine's Day a couple years back, and it has a killer Vortex scope on it.

Anyhow I took it out to the range & my wife and I both shot it Saturday.

This is a really fun gun to shoot fast and for a .22 carbine it is still pretty accurate at 100 yards.

But I forgot that I had sighted it in for 50 yards, and was trying to use the reticle as if it was the .223

These habits are annoying, and I find that when I switch from gun to gun, that as much fun as it is to have a large number of guns to play with, it is difficult to remain proficient with more than one or two.

So I wasted a bunch of ammo before I figured out what my problem was.

@Djcala
That's some very nice shooting with the Ruger. My buddy is buying a match-grade Ruger 10/22 setup. Unfortunately he sold off his old Winchester to finance it and he didn't sell it to me. Curses!

Beware the man with only one gun he likely can use it very well.

I dont know who penned that phrase but ive heard it along time.

For many years all I owned was a single Marlin .22 long rifle and a .45 replica pellet pistol.

I'm not sure I can remember all the guns that I own right now.

@Djcala
That's some very nice shooting with the Ruger. My buddy is buying a match-grade Ruger 10/22 setup. Unfortunately he sold off his old Winchester to finance it and he didn't sell it to me. Curses!
I find myself looking at some of the upgrades barrels triggers etc... I doubt il ever change it though its probably as good as i can shoot it now. Its minute of bushytail head.

Yeah, mine really surprised me too in the accuracy department too. I expected that I would have to change the barrel to be as accurate as it was out of the box. A "better" barrel may be available, but I don't think that I would be able to see enough improvement to justify the cost.

I will admit the best upgrade that I did to mine (besides the BX trigger), was the PWS extended mag release. It makes life so much more simple.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPWST3Lever

I saved a few dollars on shipping at ebay.

I must say i do need to do the mag release the old style on mine is awkward as heck.
Thats a nice one but sold out right now.

Not really.

Here's a picture of it from the side.

holli dancing to the oldies 007.JPG

PS.

I really hate the bolt hold open on this gun. I've been thinking about removing it altogether.

There is also a little mod that you can mill on the existing BHO lever.

Back