• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rugged Compact Scope

Bvhawk

.22LR
i have a MVP Patrol in 308 and I am looking for a proper scope for the rifle. I know that some rifles came with scopes but I cannot find any information on the factory supplied scope. I want to keep a compact scope which is preferably rubber armored since I'm usually crawling through brush an what not. Any help would be appreciated.

I would not suggest a rubber coated scope to anyone serious about using their firearm. I have never seen a rubber coated scope from a reputable manufacturer, because if the scope is of any decent quality it doesn't need rubber coating. Remember that the rubber coating can also effect it's ability to hold zero as well... a quick search in optics forums will show a plethora of bad reviews.

If you want rugged and you know that you'll be shooting mostly within a certain distance my suggestion would be looking at fixed power optics. There's lots of budget friendly scopes in the 3x32, 4x32 and 6 power range from Leupold/Vortex/SWFA that could suit your needs. SWFA especially, as these are pretty affordable, feature 30mm tubes (and are usually built a little heavier) and have lots of fixed power options. Primary Arms also has a great 1x6 scope thats rugged and has a .308 ballistics reticle.

Just ordered a Vortex Strikeagle 1-6x for my .308MVP haven't got it yet but am lookin forward to it. Should be a good all around CQB/400-500 yd scope on anything bigger than a coyote.....with or without a blue helmet....

Last edited:
I love looking things up like scopes.

What's your budget and range(s) you expect to use it? What kind of reticle do you like? What are you shooting at? American made or does it matter?

I can't tell you for sure but I can help look.

The UTG 3x9 32 Bug-Buster Opic is scary perfect for this rifle. It is actually what Mossberg supplies with their scoped combos. I have the Sun Shade and QR PRO grade 6 bolt high recoil rings on mine. Very compact without the shade installed.

DSCN6867.jpg
DSCN6902.jpg DSCN6889.gif DSCN6908.jpg

Got Vortex Strikeagle mounted and sighted in, workin on a good load for the MVP Patrol. The Strike eagle sits good and low in Burris Signature 30mm rings on a EGW MVP rail, no bolt interference and can see fr. sight on 1X. Only problem, and small one at that, I can't put a Scope Throw or any other power ring lever on because on 1X it interferes with the bolt handle when workin the bolt. I might be able to put one on if it doesn't align with the stub on the power ring but then it might interfere with the stock on higher power. Don't really need it, ring turns easy enough without. At any rate, I'm happy with it so far. Sorry I don't have pictures of it, don't have a good camera and don't know how to put them on here anyway.

Last edited:
Back