• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Russian Meteor strike

I don't think anyone hear about it because most people, or the media, don't care what happens in Russia, we're to busy reporting on Lindsay Lohan latest rehab attempt. That said, the footage of this was pretty wild. Sure would scare me if I was there. I rember seeing a meteor strike in Maryland about 10 years ago and it seemed sureal because it looked like it was barely moving through the sky. One more thing to worry about... :?

Had I experienced it in person, I would've soiled myself and the bug out drill would've been enacted.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0cRHsApzt8[/youtube]

Some neat stuff right there! I would have probably crapped my pants and then my shirt... haha I wonder what weird metals they find and what viruses or new "life forms" are discovered...

John A. said:
Had I experienced it in person, I would've soiled myself and the bug out drill would've been enacted.

No doubt. Could you imagine the level of panic if this were to happen over a major US city?

It would be like a sheeple stampede........
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Tim4k5 said:
John A. said:

No doubt. Could you imagine the level of panic if this were to happen over a major US city?

It would be like a sheeple stampede........
:shock: :shock: :shock:

In that situation, I would've joined the sheeple parade. Trampling little old ladies on walkers and small pets right along with the best of them :lol:

That would've ranked up there as one of the: "every man for his self moments" for sure.

NASA released some more precise info on this today:

Update: February 15, 2013 7pm PST

New information provided by a worldwide network of sensors has allowed scientists to refine their estimates for the size of the object that entered that atmosphere and disintegrated in the skies over Chelyabinsk, Russia, at 7:20:26 p.m. PST, or 10:20:26 p.m. EST on Feb. 14 (3:20:26 UTC on Feb. 15).

The estimated size of the object, prior to entering Earth's atmosphere, has been revised upward from 49 feet (15 meters) to 55 feet (17 meters), and its estimated mass has increased from 7,000 to 10,000 tons. Also, the estimate for energy released during the event has increased by 30 kilotons to nearly 500 kilotons of energy released. These new estimates were generated using new data that had been collected by five additional infrasound stations located around the world – the first recording of the event being in Alaska, over 6,500 kilometers away from Chelyabinsk. The infrasound data indicates that the event, from atmospheric entry to the meteor's airborne disintegration took 32.5 seconds. The calculations using the infrasound data were performed by Peter Brown at the University of Western Ontario, Canada.

"We would expect an event of this magnitude to occur once every 100 years on average," said Paul Chodas of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "When you have a fireball of this size we would expect a large number of meteorites to reach the surface and in this case there were probably some large ones."

The trajectory of the Russia meteor was significantly different than the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, which hours later made its flyby of Earth, making it a completely unrelated object. The Russia meteor is the largest reported since 1908, when a meteor hit Tunguska, Siberia.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/aster ... 30215.html

By way of comparison, this is slightly bigger energy release than a W88 nuke warhead at 475KT.

Re: RE: Russian Meteor strike

Why does all the exciting stuff happen in Russia?

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Back