• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rust in the chamber in another 590A1! *UPDATE WITH PIC*

LUGI

.270 WIN
UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM!

What the hell is going on with mossberg? I bought a 590A1 awhile ago....and had "rust" in the chamber...now just brought another one home with the same "rust like crap" in the chamber.

What is this...is it rust, how could it be with 2 different guns? Who else has had this issue?
Really would like to know...if not rust, what could it be.

Re: Rust in the chamber in another 590A1!

Can you post up some pictures?

The same substance has been showing up on mag tubes and other aluminum parts as well. Aluminum doesn't rust, so this has got to be some sort of residue from production or a type of preservative...

could also be some left over residue from the factory test firing.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The same substance has been showing up on mag tubes and other aluminum parts as well. Aluminum doesn't rust, so this has got to be some sort of residue from production or a type of preservative...

It's the barrel. Inside just on the chamber...didn't check the rest of it but I think it's just on the that part.
This isn't the first time dealing with this...so might just call teck support again, and have them send me one until they get it right....but honestly want to know what's the deal with this. :?

If it is rust.... how can this get past quality control?

LUGI said:

Lugi,

Might not have had rust when it went through QC. I think it depends on how long it sat after boxed, and environment? Anyway to determine this? The rust could develop over time between when they packaged it, and when you opened it. Just a thought.

Frank

LUGI said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

It's the barrel. Inside just on the chamber...didn't check the rest of it but I think it's just on the that part.

Understood,

My point is that this substance is also showing up on weapons other than yours on aluminum parts that don't rust. As annoying as it is, this leads me to believe that it isn't rust...

Frank Castle said:
LUGI said:

Lugi,

Might not have had rust when it went through QC. I think it depends on how long it sat after boxed, and environment? Anyway to determine this? The rust could develop over time between when they packaged it, and when you opened it. Just a thought.

Frank

I hear ya man.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
LUGI said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Understood,

My point is that this substance is also showing up on weapons other than yours on aluminum parts that don't rust. As annoying as it is, this leads me to believe that it isn't rust...

Oh...my bad, sorry. Now I get what you're saying.

Here's two pictures.
Took this about 3 hours.
100_1492_zpsfe241f88.jpg

100_1491_zps8cc10f4e.jpg

Like i said...this crap is just like my other one, before i got it taking care of....but damn at the money i spent, should not have to go through this! :twisted:

I see only the top pic.

Either way, this looks more like the dried cosmoline on my Mosins. Pick up some Birchwood Casey 'Bore Scrubber' or another good solvent and give it a good once over with a bore brush. I can't imagine it'd still be there when you're done...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I see only the top pic.

Either way, this looks more like the dried cosmoline on my Mosins. Pick up some Birchwood Casey 'Bore Scrubber' or another good solvent and give it a good once over with a bore brush. I can't imagine it'd still be there when you're done...

I see both pics and agree with LES.
Looks like some old dried up rust inhibitor like cosmoline.
Clean it out and if it returns then it is probably rust.
More likely you will never see it again.

Called today.....spoke to david. He's setting up a prepaid label. He said that he dont think its rust, it
Is most likely this stuff they put on the barrel and then rinse it in water and it wasn't rinsed all the way.

Back