• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ryan's reloading thread

I'm really proud of all the work you have put forth in this. Looks like it's paying off too.

I'm really proud of all the work you have put forth in this. Looks like it's paying off too.

Thanks man, I'm really happy that I've finally been able to start doing this. It's been a long time coming and a decent amount of work and money, but it's been worth it so far. I want to start reloading for my Win 94 30-30 next. I think I'll see some real benefits in that as well.

Nice work! Now that you have the "bug", there is no looking back. The real fun and satisfaction is trying different powders, loads and bullet combinations for each rifle caliber until you find the sweet spot for each one.

I can tell you that after 43 years of reloading I still enjoy loading to get the best for each gun and caliber I own. The loads I use for my 25-06 will shoot circles around any new factory ammo. I finally perfected a load for my 338-06 with a 225 grain bullet. Lot of fun and satisfaction with that one.

reloading is the ultimate in the game of firearm ownership

Don't do it to save money, you won't ....I mean you do for the quality and volume of ammo you end up with

What you get

Good ammo for the cost of crap ammo = better for your weapon and groups and making those on the edge shots that impress your friends because you know your ammo and weapon intimately
I load top shelf $1+ each rounds for the cost of steel case bimetallic crap

Shoot more = better shooter.....no way around it. Shoot more get better, shoot less get rusty or never advance

Loads and components Taylor made for each barrel. Knowing you have something in your chamber made for your gun gives you a leg up in the confidence in your shot, confidence equals better shooting

Knowledge of construction, means to construct ammunition is golden in preparing for bad times. Ammunition is a consumable, don't care how much you have it's not enough, it's never enough.
If it all dries up, your stash is gone, stolen or lost you still have the means to make a consumable that a firearm is compleatly worthless without

I also loaded up a few more rounds for .338 win mag. I want to move the scope to a 200 yard zero. I also want to shoot the same load with Hornady 225 grain SST bullets. I'm thinking they'll shoot very differently as the bullets had to be seated quite a bit deeper to achieve the same COL. They can't be made any longer as they won't fit in the magazine.

So I'm looking to start reloading for 30-30 Win. A place local to me had so LEVERevolution powder and 160 gr. FTX bullets so I'm very interested in this combo. According to the Hornady book I can get around 2300 fps out of this load. I'll be looking to put these through my old Win 94 later this week. The book says to use Federal 210 primers, but I'm looking up alternatives to that. I've never reloaded for a lever action before so I'm not really sure what kind of accuracy to expect.

So I purchased all the goods today, dies, powder, & bullets. I found out that with the lever action of my win 94 I can't seat the bullet out very far, so it's nowhere near the lands and grooves. It is a little past max in the book, but cycles very well. According to my book the max for powder is 37gr, hodgdon's website and on the can says 35.5. I've got 4 loads with 36gr being the highest. I don't have a lot of brass, so they'll be 4 shot groups instead of 5 like I would normally shoot. This powder is a royal pain to work with as it sticks to everything, and I still haven't gotten it all out of my dispenser and trickler. I plan to do some shooting on friday. If these don't shoot accurately I'll try other primers, these are Federal 210s which was my only option from this gun shop. I could also try the 140gr monoflex bullets if nothing else pans out.

That's a great picture. The powder jar all but jumps off the computer screen.

If you throw up some pictures of the targets I hope you include one of the '94!

Back