• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sa-20 recoil spring size

Jogar80

.22LR
Does anyone here know the specs on the recoil spring for the sa-20? Trying to find a softer spring from several vendors but they are asking for length, number of coils, outside diameter, and wire thickness. All in thousandths of an inch and I don’t have the tools for that.

Last edited:
Does anyone here know the specs on the recoil spring for the sa-20? Trying to find a softer spring from several vendors but they are asking for length, number of coils, outside diameter, and wire thickness. All in thousandths of an inch and I don’t have to tools for that.

I can't help you with your particular part but I do have a tip for measuring small things without fancy calipers...

A dollar bill is .0043" thick, so you can use them as feeler gauges. Stack them up till you match the thickness of what you're measuring, add them together and there's your number in thousandths. Not super precise but it works in a pinch. Or use dimes which are .053" thick.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, go buy a Cen-Tech digital caliper. Should be less than $20. Alternately, you could look on zamazom or TEMU for a caliper.

I don't know about the spring ends and how they seat but you could try cutting a coil or two off the ends and try that. BUT first, if it is a new or lightly used gun, the OEM spring should probably be "exercised" with full power loads before you go cutting or replacing it...

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Back