• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SAFETY ALERT: SIG Sauer P320 upgrade pack available

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Breaking: SIG Sauer Issuing Voluntary Upgrade on P320 Pistols
by MAX SLOWIK on AUGUST 8, 2017
<link to full article *>

SIG Sauer is issuing a voluntary upgrade package for their popular line of P320 striker-fired service pistols to improve their reliability and safety. The P320 is one of the most prominent next-generation polymer pistols. The U.S. military just selected the P320 to replace the bulk of Beretta M9 pistols in service today.

Recent testing shows that unfortunately, “dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.” This particular issue does not affect the M17, the P320 going into service with the Army and Air Force as a part of the Modular Handgun System (MHS) program.

The SIG P320 is one of the pistols most tested to see service today. “The P320 meets U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)/Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturing Institute (SAAMI), National Institute of Justice (NIJ) as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies,” said SIG in a release.

The P320 has been in use publicly and privately for years. It’s only been in recent tests where people have been able to produce conditions where the pistols may discharge when dropped.

“As a result of input from law enforcement, government and military customers, SIG has developed a number of enhancements in function, reliability and overall safety including drop performance,” highlights the release. “SIG Sauer is offering these enhancements to its customers.”

SIG will update their website on August 14 for P320 owners with all the details about the upgrade.

Notice that they didn't call it a voluntary recall.

Voluntary safety upgrade sounds, like, so much better.

Thanx to Pawpaw for that video in the last post.
I just want to grab some of the text of that page for the record here.

I grabbed my well used Brownells 1″ gunsmith hammer and loaded a primed case into the chamber, then smacked it on the back of the slide. Sure, it isn’t super scientific, but it does show that the pistol will fail on command.

I find it rather hard to believe that Sig didn’t know that there was an issue and had parts and a trigger ready to go that remedies the issue.​

Sig's P320 website for "voluntary upgrade" is up. <LINK>

VOLUNTARY UPGRADE PROGRAM
P320®
SIG SAUER is offering a voluntary upgrade program for all P320 pistols. All P320 pistol owners are eligible. Sign up online and get your P320 upgraded at no cost to you.

SIG SAUER is offering a voluntary program for P320 pistols. This will include an alternate design that reduces the physical weight of the trigger, sear, and striker while additionally adding a mechanical disconnector.

3 Steps To Upgrading Your SIG SAUER P320 Pistol
  1. Have your P320 serial number and home address available.
  2. Fill out the Voluntary Upgrade Sign-Up Form — one serial number per form submission.
  3. SIG SAUER will contact you regarding the best method for you to get your P320 pistol to them.
Once SIG SAUER receives your P320 pistol, they will apply the upgrades, test it, and then return it to you free of charge.

If you run into any issues, please call Customer Service and they will help you through the process. Customer Service can be reached at (603)610-3000 Option 1, from Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. through 6:00 p.m. EST.

If you own multiple P320s, you will need to enter each P320 serial number separately.

Thanks for posting this I will have to check it out. I got a new P320 earlier this year.

I had forgotten all about my P320 sitting in the safe. I suppose I had best get online and get the ball moving. Thanks for posting the info Scoop.

I sent my P320 via Fed Ex a week ago Tuesday. That would have been the 20th. I got an email yesterday that Sig had shipped it. I checked the Fed Ex tracking website and it is supposed to be delivered today. I am happy.

The package arrived yesterday afternoon. 10 days including shipping to and from, and FEDEX backs the 2nd. I am a happy camper.

Back