• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Safety Button Question

MrDig

A while ago I was rehabilitating an older Mossberg 500 of mine. For some stupid reason (don't ask why) I disassembled the safety button and while trying to put it back together I had the ball detent and the spring go sailing somewhere into the undefinable regions of the basement. I got replacements and had the same thing happen. FYI in a pinch #4 steel shot is close to the size of the ball detent and works as a replacement in a pinch. The Spring is another matter. Anyway I up to trying again and want to know if you guys have any tips or tricks for keeping the spring and ball detent from going sailing somewhere irretrievable.

A plastic bubble around you? ;)

From what I can remember I just used a very small screwdriver to hold it in place as I slid the safety over it.

A split gallon sized ziplock bag or some plastic wrap over the top will allow you to see what you are doing and if something flys out, it will be deflected back down where you can find it as opposed to all away across the room.

When I assemble AR's I use the blade edge of a utility knife to hold the detents in place while getting the pins in position.

MikeD said:
A split gallon sized ziplock bag or some plastic wrap over the top will allow you to see what you are doing and if something flys out, it will be deflected back down where you can find it as opposed to all away across the room.

When I assemble AR's I use the blade edge of a utility knife to hold the detents in place while getting the pins in position.

Both good Ideas, now that I think about it a blade style feeler gauge would work well and have no sharp edges to contend with.

How do you get the safety off? I wanna put a different selector switch on mine but can't figure out how to take off that one way screw without drilling it.

Use a big screwdriver and keep constant downward pressure. You should be able to back it out without too much trouble.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

Back