• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Savage Stevens pump gun dang it.

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Well like title says dang it.! I went to Walmart today to pick up a gun part id ordered. While there i went and looked of course and there was a cute little pump gun with one of the yellow rollback tags on it said 139.97 !! had to check it out. Turned out to be a savage stevens youth 20 bore with 22" vent rib barrel. Takes choke tubes and has sling mounts. Cool Having zero knowledge of these guns i check out to best of ability in store. Felt decent not near as heavy as some of the prc guns ive handled. It appears to be cousin of a winchester 1300 variant. I had to buy it. Purchased the shotty which came with a single modified choke tube. Counter guy said winchokes fit it. So i grabbed a pack of winchokes wich had imp cyl full and an extended xfull turky choke the pack was 29 bucs. I also grabbed a box of dove loads a box of 15 federal slugs and 2 boxes of :#3 buckshot. I returned the scope mount i had ordered (24 bucs) and I was out the door for $200 dollars. I will drill and tap this for a pic rail. Assuming this gun functions as i believe it will it can serve a lot of purposes for me. A periodic slug slinger, a turkey buster, spare home defense gun, knock around general purpose gun and great for grandkids. Anyhow no time for shooting it today but i will follow up with shooting impressions later. This MAY be candidate for a spray bomb camo job. Its a buyers market gang enjoy. Decent featured 20170823_142005.jpg 20170823_142217.jpg 20170823_142630.jpg 20170823_142347.jpg pump gun and full complement of ammo to test for 200 bucs aint bad.

I liked you up until just now.

Just kidding. I'm glad you got it. I would've jumped on it too.

Does it have a rotating bolt like the 1300?

20170823_153102.jpg 20170823_153050.jpg
I liked you up until just now.

Just kidding. I'm glad you got it. I would've jumped on it too.

Does it have a rotating bolt like the 1300?
Heck i hate me too i bought a flippin prc shotgun.
Yes it have whatvappears to be same similar rotating bolt. Amd from figeting so far its pretty good mover. Dual action bars. Il disassemble tonight for a good scrub and lube investigation. But shoot what seemed decent pumper i couldnt pass for under 140bucs man.

Dang, that does look like a 1300 up in there. I've been refinishing and redoing my middle sons 1300 for a week now getting all the old paint off of there, shortening the barrel down, and other work I've been doing to it.

Does this gun have a particular model #?

Nevermind, sorry, I see the model number on the box in the first picture.

My local store doesn't have any.

And from the looks on google, these are between $200-$264 everywhere else.

Dang, that does look like a 1300 up in there. I've been refinishing and redoing my middle sons 1300 for a week now getting all the old paint off of there, shortening the barrel down, and other work I've been doing to it.

Does this gun have a particular model #?
15035221428701877019653.jpg

I know for a fact theres another one at the wallyworld in Ozark Ala. Cause the display barrel had some scratches and clerk said i have one still in box and plastic in back i said i take the one in back. So display is still there well was at 1pm. I dont know if wally transfers stuff to other stores never tried.

Im doing my do diligence after the fact. I usually research things to death before i purchase but this time i did not i had impulse buy. Heres good ol hickock45 trying one its a 12 guage but id guess fairly comparable function wise.

Disassemble tonight to have a peak inside and do some clean and lube. Ive seen better and ive seen worse. Glad i did though not sure what the factory lube is but kind off a honey based cosmoline ? I could see with some gun powder residue mixed in it becoming a sticky mess gumming up things if you didnt clean it up though. Shes been degreased and lubed now should be ready for some shooting il try and do that in next couple days.
@John A.
I attached some pics of the guts curious how parts compare to 1300 any resemblance ?20170823_233057.jpg 20170823_233122.jpg 20170823_233254.jpg 20170823_233404.jpg 20170823_233449.jpg

Resemblance is uncanny.

Looks like a near perfect twin.

In watching that youtube video with Hickok, one of my first thoughts is if I were shooting it mostly was that I would hacksaw a lot of the back end of that long forearm off of it where it blocks the receiver when it's pulled back.

I may would try to leave some of the "swell" on it if I could just for some extra grip, but I'm not very fond of a forend blocking the magwell.

One of my 1300's is like that, but at the same time, it's one of the youth stocks so younger people or smaller adults (kids or women) can work the action easier. That's the only reason that I have left that one like that so I have one they can use easier. Which is probably what you had in mind for your Grandkids too.

I ordered a set of sights to mount on this gun they arrived today. I got the williams firesights ghost ring setup. I believe this may be a good setup for what i plan to do with it. Let me say i know my way around a gun and am fairly proficient at smithing my own firearms. These were a pain to put on partly vision related and partly teeny tiny parts related. After about an hour yes an HOUR i clamped the sights on. I think i could have drilled tapped and mounted a set of sights on faster. Anyway i picked up poster board today and plan to do some range time tommorrow. Here are a few pics. The sights seem very well made. I wish esthetically i could have move front sight closer to muzzel but rib cutout would not permit maybe im being silly ? I will also probably change out the front red tub for a different color i cannot pick up on the red any better than if it were plain black.20170826_215744.jpg 20170826_215929.jpg 20170826_220018.jpg 20170826_220144.jpg

I am VERY IMPRESSED to see a well-designed pump gun to be in that price range.

Snagging it with the extras should have been a pretty easy decision.

My son helped me replace the crap OEM rear sight on the Ruger American Rimfire rifle with a Williams Firesight and it made for a world of difference/improvement.

You chose wisely my friend.

These are clones of the 1300, with little exception. I've been hearing about and seeing more of these quite a bit lately.

I'm commenting now because
#1 good score
#2 I hate those forends too
My 835 forend was similar. I cut it off.

I made a trip out to range i didnt what i planned but i did accomplish my first goal which was sight in and see how slugs would work. I didnt do extensive ammo testing id planned with diff chokes because i left my little choke bag on work bench. I had the modified in gun though.i was very pleased. As for the firesight it was really good easy to see and easy adjustment. I placed a poster board at 25 yards first round was about 6" low a little right i went ahead raised adjusted elevation fired rwo more they were fairly close to each other and elevation fine a bit right. I adjusted windage and apparently over compensated a little so i just went back half of previous adjustment and moved target out to 50 yards. 4 shots were satisfactory for me for shotgun. I think it will serve its purpose fifine fist in final target to give idea of the black dot size basically heart size final group. 20170827_110840.jpg 20170827_112226.jpg 20170827_110332.jpg I will go out again and try 75 and 100 on a cooler day just curious how it would shoot at that distance but really doubt il use it past 50 in the shotgun area as its so thick there. Anyway heres the initial sight in target then the final 50 yard 4 shot group. Il do some diffvchoke testing with bird buck and turkey loads at later date. Ps my lady friend was doing artwork on mybposter board trying to be funny.

Looks like you got 'er dialed in.

Well done. On all accounts.

Getting a steal, swapping the sights, dialing it in.

One comment on the other chokes, in all fairness, I don't think I'd try an extra full turkey choke with a slug. Most companies will tell you up front that they're too tight for slugs.

Back