• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

scope inquiry for my atr

308hunter

Copper BB
It has recently been brought to my attention by some friends of mine that my scope it junk. My wife got it for me and was so proud of it. It is a Bushnell banner dusk & dawn 6-18x50 and its on a 308. I was planning on putting a bushnell firefly on it but since she was proud of her pick I put it on. For two years I've fallen in love with it. You name it rain getting dropped and bumped its still on. Just wondering what scopes yall use and what would be your opinion on the banner?
Thanks

What are the reasons that your friends are calling it junk?
Is it staying zeroed in?
Glass foggy or unclear?
If it is getting the job done then I say leave it alone.

There are a LOT of optics snobs out there who'll tell ya you have to spend a thousand bucks on a scope to feel worthwile about yourself. I'm not one of em. I've got $150 NCStar scopes mounted on both my AICS Remy 700s that put up sub-MOA groups all day long. I bought the first one as a 'stand in' while I set aside money for a better scope, but with the way it performed I decided to keep it. Bought the second one for my other rifle as a result and haven't looked back. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that pricey optics aren't worth the investment. I just don't think they're necessary for every shooting application.

Bottom line: If it works for you, shoots straight, and holds up to whatever abuse you put it through, then KEEP IT. Let your friends go spend their money how they see fit.

Oh, and the fact that your wife bought it for you just makes it that much cooler. Be proud of that thing!

308hunter said:
No. No straying no fogging just precise accuracy. I believe there mad cause I out shoot them. Lol

There's your answer.

Three of my scopes (including two that are on 100 ATRs) were picked up from Craigslist (most expensive one was $45).
On one .270 I have an NCSTAR (craigslist special) and on the other .270 an NCStar I bought new when a local Gun Store decided they wanted to carry a more upscale brand and fire sale'd everything NCStar they had.
I'm not a bit too proud to shoot a cheap name brand as long as it does exactly what you said above, holds true, doesn't fog up, keeps shooting what I point it at.

Thanks I did google my scope and its for air rifles and some centerfires. I don't care what its for all I know is what it is doing. So I'm pleasantly pleased with it.

Don't worry about your scope. I have that same model Bushnell scope on a little Ruger 10/22 custom I built and it's a tack driver. Literally. I can explode those tiny plastic colored pins they use on info boards at 50yds with my 22LR. What your friends probably think, is if it's from China, it's junk. I would say that 10 or certainly 20 years ago that Chinese scopes were JUNK, but now they make some fairly good scopes that hold up. What makes most Chinese scopes bad, is the Customer Service that would be needed if something went wrong, but that's not the Chinese fault, it's the Manufacturer who's selling the scope. Now if you're going into Competitive Shooting where you earn money/prizes/national recognition, I would certainly change the scope for something more in-line like a Leupold, Weaver, Burris, Nikon or another top shelf type scope. Other than that, keep on fun-shooting, and winning bets from your friends.
Del

Thanks I did google my scope and its for air rifles and some centerfires. I don't care what its for all I know is what it is doing. So I'm pleasantly pleased with it.
If it's air rifle rated it probably stronger than your buddies scope. Springer air rifles have double type recoil and can tear apart a reg scope. If your happy with it and does all it's asked what more do you need. You can drop another $1,000 into a scope and it will do the same .but you get bragging rights for the brand name. Maybe your buddies fall into that group. Your Scopes keeping you Happy and Your wife. sounds like a keeper. ~~MM~~

Back