• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scope Ring Heighth?

phoenixcrash

Copper BB
Just picked up a Mossberg Patriot chambered in .308. The scope that I picked up for it requires 1" rings. Problem is; What heighth? Low, Medium, or High profile rings? Any help would be appreciated guys.

I'll try and remember how to do this, anyone else can jump in and set me straight where I'm wrong.

The size of the objective lense plus the housing /2 plus minimum clearance above the bore. You can use a straight edge or ruler across the top of the receiver and measure the distance between that and the barrel. Subtract that from the previous number.

Or simpler would be to call say Leupold and ask what they recommend for whatever size scope you have.

I think for something like a 40mm lense, medium height may work but I'm kinda guessing.

I have no idea if this is the best way to determine ring height.

Be aware, different manufactures height as advertised, aren't always the same measurement. Look at the actual specs. They usually give a dimension to the centerline.

It varies a bit from company to company. Medium has always worked for me with 40mm objectives but I have had some where med was to low. I do not recall specifically what brand those were at the moment.

wp_ss_20170224_0002.png The scope is a Bushnell Banner CF500. 40mm objective. What little instructions came with it didn't specify any way to measure for scope rings (I don't know why it didn't come with rings).

Ironically the scope.I was mounting at the time was also a Bushnell 3-9.

Set the scope on a table. Shim/lift the smaller of the two objectives until the tube is parellel to the table and measure the distence between the tube and the table. This would be a good starting point for minimum. You may also need to adjust for barrel/receiver contour etc but that should get you in the ballpark.

Thanks MikeD. I'll try that when I get home from work, and let you guys know how it works out. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Hey MikeD, what height scope rings did you use on your Bushnell 3-9?
I tried low rings...and noooo way. Medium ones seem to barely clear the top of the receiver, but they do clear.

Hey MikeD, what height scope rings did you use on your Bushnell 3-9?
I tried low rings...and noooo way. Medium ones seem to barely clear the top of the receiver, but they do clear.
I've gotten by with medium on a couple guns.

There are different size 3-9 bushnell scopes.

The bell diameter, or the final number in the scope size, is what you need to look at to determine the height rings you'll need.

For instance 3-9x32 or 3-9x50.

The x32 can usually get by with low rings. x40 or x42 can usually get by with tall rings, and the x50 will need extra high.

But as has been said a few times already, not all mounts are the same height spec. Some medium are the same as other medium/tall, just as an example.

I put talley light weight on my 375 Ruger had medium on at first bolt handle just cleared. I put a set of see thrus on just to check how it felt and ended up ordering high set because it was a match for me perfect sight pitcher.

I just dropped a Vortex Viper 6-20X50 on a .243 Patriot Bantam. Used low Vortex Hunter rings. I have about 3/16th clearance between the scope objective bell and the receiver.

Back