• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scope suggestions

I have to tell you that this depends a whole lot on your eyesight. I don't know how old you are, but your opinion may change as you age, Don.

I shoot pretty good with a high-powered scope, but it takes me a while to aim. Not only are my eyes weak but they don't focus quickly either.

Anyhow I was never so happy at the range as the first time I went target shooting with my 20x Steiner.

I really lucked out when I bought that scope because it was display model and I got it for about 1/2 off.

I'm 71 yrs old and wear glass's. What I've found is that hunting the lower power's work better for me than higher power's. At the high power's when shooting at target's I tend to see to much of my own movement in them. That didn't happen years ago!

I'm just 62 but I have had bad eyes since I was 7. When target shooting I lay my entire body weight on top of that heavy gun, using two sandbags.

I could hit a deer okay with my 30-30 Mossberg & 3-9 Leupold, up to 100 yards. (If I had a bench or a tripod to shoot off of) but past that I need a more powerful gun and a stronger scope.

That being said, I'm a fisherman nowadays and I don't go hunting anymore. I go target shooting as often as possible.

But the only animals I've killed with a gun in 45 years have been ground squirrels, possums and gophers that were digging around in my yard.

Also I live in the suburbs. The Major Wildlife around here is our dogs cats and fish.

I've been thinking about this and the deal with scope's, I think, is many people buy a scope thinking they'll soon become a long range shooter. Other's bought the idea than you can really see better with a huge variable, just not so. Lot of people have never in their life see an animal much over 200yds or less but arm themselves with a high power scope just in case they get that 500 yd shot they really aren't qualified to take! Most people will get shot's at well under 200yds and with a scope up to 4x they will get the widest field of view making picking up the target much easier. Even out to 300+ yds, a lower power scope give's you a better look at and animal. What some people seem to forget is our shooting target's have a much smaller zero point that say a deer!

I like to shoot to 500yds once in a while and, I did buy a scope just for that, 4 1/2x14x Nikon. Irony is I've never used it past 8x! The only advantage I see to it is the turret's, makes adjusting in the field much more do able.

Back