• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Seal ring? Also loose trigger?

Stoop14

.22LR
I purchased the mossberg 930 home security/ water fowl combo, I just read the manual and it shows a seal ring in the gas system, but then on the bottom says "not used in all models" when I reassembled mine I didn't put one on, and am a bit concerned. What models do use this?

Edit: I also noticed the trigger kinda has some play side to side, is this the norm for 930?

Stoop14 said:
I purchased the mossberg 930 home security/ water fowl combo, I just read the manual and it shows a seal ring in the gas system, but then on the bottom says "not used in all models" when I reassembled mine I didn't put one on, and am a bit concerned. What models do use this?

Edit: I also noticed the trigger kinda has some play side to side, is this the norm for 930?

Not sure what your getting at. But what ever was in the gun when you disassembled it, should be put back when you reassembled it. Like the instructions said not used in all models, so if your gun came with one then it should to be there. A little trigger play is pritty much the norm in 930’s. Good luck and stay safe.

I mean what models use the seal ring? Like do older models? or newer models? I'm just wondering if i'm missing a part or something.

My 930, waterfowl model, has a little play in the trigger group but it's not to bad and does not interfere with the function of the gun. From what I've read this is a common issue. I have heard of a few issues where the play was enough to cause the loading gate to not line up with the groves in the bolt and interfered with loading. There was a video of this posted here in one of the threads.

Edit: I can't find the one I recall seeing right now, perhaps someone else will recall it. Here is what I found doing a quick search for 930 trigger issues:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_mLITwFjow&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va8g8XZB1lw[/youtube]

Stoop14 said:
I mean what models use the seal ring? Like do older models? or newer models? I'm just wondering if i'm missing a part or something.

That's a good question, Stoop. I was wondering the same thing the other night when I was installing the short barrel on the receiver of my combo model (85325). I was curious and a little concerned that there didn't seem to be a "seal ring" for my brand new shotgun. Like the owner's manual and a few folks here have said, "Not used on all models." But, like you, I'd like to know which models the "seal ring "is used on.

I’ve been doing some searching (shotgunworld.com) and found some discussion about the seal ring being incorporated onto the gas piston. I’ve reviewed videos of both 930 and 935 being disassembled an nether models had a separate seal ring. I can only assume that Mossberg has put the seal ring on the gas piston and never updated the manual. But then again you know what ASSUME means. My 930 SPX has functioned flawlessly for over 500 rounds of Remington 00 buckshot, 1oz slugs and many, many, low brass birdshot. Stoop let us know how the gun shoots.

Stoop I understand your confusion about the seal ring! I just got my 930 field / security combo last night and for a second thought I was losing my mind! Mine does not have the seal ring for what it's worth.

At first I was looking at the smaller "how to switch the barrel" pamphlet which only shows a diagram telling you to make sure you put the seal ring in the right direction. I started to panic thinking I was missing that ring, but then after looking though the full manual they note many times that not all models have the ring, pheww.

I'll get some pics / post up later maybe this weekend. I took a quick inspection of the gun and preinstalled 28" barrel at the FFL, but unfortunately the 18.5" barrel was packed up good in the cardboard around the piston and plastic still and when I got home I found the seemingly common double marks where the bluing has rubbed off on the 18.5" barrel. But maybe more concerning is a marking right at top middle that looks like it got hit pretty good and gave it a nice nick...pics / post to follow. Got an email in to see if Mossberg has any help. 28" vent rib seems fine although looks a little light on bluing / finish quality is poor on a lot of the joints where the vent rib is welded on. Oh well, nick is my main issue at this point...otherwise I'm excited to test it out when I get it cleaned up and have some time.

ya the blueing on mine was pretty bad, had some rubbed off in spots just from contact with the cardboard in the box.

Back