• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Seating a projectile WAY down in there.

Tom396

.30-06
Would any of you reloaders consider seating a projectile this far down into the brass?!

Federal-Premium-HST-Micro-Lineup-with-38-Special-P-Load.jpg

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/05/fe...micro-lineup-38-special-p-load/#axzz4hwKrzsr3

Take care. Tom Worthington

Ive never seen it with a jhp before. But years ago we shot alot of flush mounted 38 hollow base wadcutters. The were quite accurate. Dont hold me to it but i believe there was actually brass specifically designed for being slightly longer.
As for the hollow base wadcutters there were some who would load them backwards and swore by them as defensive rounds in a 38 revolver.

I might if I was making 38 specials using 357 brass.

I've loaded wad cutters seated that deep but never hollow points.

If Federal/ATK does that on purpose as they apparently do, and they include the wonderful HST bullet, I'm all in.

Yeah, it looks too short to be 357 brass.

But I wouldn't do it unless I was loading using 357 brass and 38 spc charges and putting them in a 357 chamber. Kind of a hybrid bastard.

That's about the only way I would consider loading a bullet that low in the case myself.

What you have pictured goes against everything I have ever seen before.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a way to save powder, by increasing compression of the charge?

Otherwise...

What is the point?

I'm trying to figure out if this is a way to save powder, by increasing compression of the charge?

Otherwise...

What is the point?

Your getting warm but not quite there. This was SO common and normal in 70 and 80s and there are still some out there doing it have a gander on the smith wesson forums. But basically flush seating 148grn wadcutters reduced the amount of free airspace in casing with a reduced power target load of say 750 up to maybe 850 fps resulting in very consistent and accurate loads. There was a time factory flush load wadcutter rounds were as common as 115 9mm fmj is now. Yes really

Last edited:
I wasn't shooting anything but twenty two's and BB's in those days. . .

I recently cast, loaded & shot a bunch of .38 wad-cutters. They shot fine from my SAA but to get them to feed from my lever gun I had to make them very long.
20170301_090600.jpg
I bumped up the powder charge a little bit to compensate for the extra air space, but next time I will use a much fluffier powder like Trail Boss to fill up that case.

I'm just shooting targets so reliability is not a life-and-death thing, but every one of my pistol loads shot off fine.

Back