• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Seeking LED Light & Mag Tube Mount for 26" & 18" 20 Gauge Barrels

Bill1949

Copper BB
Later this week I'm picking up a new 20 gauge Maverick 88 with a 26" barrel for clays. At some point I plan to by an 18" barrel for home defense configuration. I"m looking to purchcase a 600 to 800 lumen light & magazine tube tube mount combination for between $60 and $80 and that don't weigh much. Thanks.

600-800 lumen is pretty bright.

I'm still using 60-120 lumen lights on most of my guns to be honest. Mainly because I don't want to blind myself along with the neighbors at the other end of the street.

If it's too over-powering, while disorienting to someone else, also messes with your vision too especially once you turn it off (you should never leave it on constantly while a threat is engaging you). And the instant that you turn it off, you're also going to be just as blinded and disoriented as they are.

In most of my defense scenarios where I would use a shotgun, would be fairly close proximity. Meaning, the smaller light output creates more of an illuminated bullseye on what you're shooting at. My late friend used to tell me that with the lights which I use, "if it's lit, it's hit".

The higher lumen lights, tend to spread more and harder to tell where the "edge" of it is from a lack of better description and you lose the ability to use it as a point of reference of where the gun is aiming.

I can see how that may be beneficial in some circumstances, but not in others.

Congratulations on the new shotgun.

600-800 lumen is pretty bright.

I'm still using 60-120 lumen lights on most of my guns to be honest. Mainly because I don't want to blind myself along with the neighbors at the other end of the street.

If it's too over-powering, while disorienting to someone else, also messes with your vision too especially once you turn it off (you should never leave it on constantly while a threat is engaging you). And the instant that you turn it off, you're also going to be just as blinded and disoriented as they are.

In most of my defense scenarios where I would use a shotgun, would be fairly close proximity. Meaning, the smaller light output creates more of an illuminated bullseye on what you're shooting at. My late friend used to tell me that with the lights which I use, "if it's lit, it's hit".

The higher lumen lights, tend to spread more and harder to tell where the "edge" of it is from a lack of better description and you lose the ability to use it as a point of reference of where the gun is aiming.

I can see how that may be beneficial in some circumstances, but not in others.

Congratulations on the new shotgun.

John A.
Thanks for the advice...I underestand completely. A weapons light with lower lumens would also weigh less. That said, how can i determine if a smaller LED light can withstand the shock from the discharge without switchcing off or breaking entirely? Are there specific features or technical specifications I should be looking for? Which mag tube mount do you think works best? Thanks in advance,,,stay safe.

In my experience with lights on shotguns, the mount is just as critical as the weapon light itself.

I have used cheap (in this instance meaning inferior) mounts and they tend to slide and move around under recoil despite how tight you clamp it to the tube.

The Elzetta mount is the only one that I have personal experience with that doesn't do that.

It's more expensive than many other mounts, but it works.

And as for a light, I'm using one that isn't even technically a weapon light. It's a ray-o-vac "indestructible" AA battery light with a few wraps of black tape around it so the mount will clamp down on it.

While this may sound very jerry-rigged, and I assume it probably is, it has never failed me, even like many others.

The light itself is an LED and has 2 brightness settings. So, when I use the light, I make sure the last time that I click the tailcap that it's on the low setting so when I do use it, it will be on the higher setting.

It has a clicky tail cap on/off switch so if I want it on, it's on. And if I want to use it as a momentary switch, I just don't click it and depress it down all the way.

This isn't the best photo of it, but does show the mount and the light.

7dAWlBu.jpg

RHysBET.jpg

And since I am a fan of testing my gear out properly and in the manner of which it would be used, the night time shooting of the gun above is at the end of this video

At the price point you stated the options are very limited.

Might try a modest priced light with a tail cap switch and mount it to the magazine tube with ranger bands then cover the ranger bands with 100 mph tape.

Good luck

At the price point you stated the options are very limited.

Might try a modest priced light with a tail cap switch and mount it to the magazine tube with ranger bands then cover the ranger bands with 100 mph tape.

Good luck
Thanks...

In my experience with lights on shotguns, the mount is just as critical as the weapon light itself.

I have used cheap (in this instance meaning inferior) mounts and they tend to slide and move around under recoil despite how tight you clamp it to the tube.

The Elzetta mount is the only one that I have personal experience with that doesn't do that.

And as for a light, I'm using one that isn't even technically a weapon light. It's a ray-o-vac "indestructible" AA battery light with a few wraps of black tape around it so the mount will clamp down on it.

While this may sound very jerry-rigged, and I assume it probably is, it has never failed me, even like many others.

The light itself is an LED and has 2 brightness settings. So, when I use the light, I make sure the last time that I click the tailcap that it's on the low setting so when I do use it, it will be on the higher setting.

It has a clicky tail cap on/off switch so if I want it on, it's on. And if I want to use it as a momentary switch, I just don't click it and depress it down all the way.

7dAWlBu.jpg

RHysBET.jpg

And since I am a fan of testing my gear out properly and in the manner of which it would be used, the night time shooting of the gun above is at the end of this video

7dAWlBu.jpg

RHysBET.jpg

Thanks so much. I'm still researching the mounts and the lights. I've seen the Elzetta mount and one other that I've attached below.
B08L6DYZ3C

Back