• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Several questions about possible purchase of a 930 SPX

Vector

Copper BB
For starters, what is a good price for a lightly used one?

How can you tell what year it was manufactured in? I ask because I've read or heard the older ones had some issues that the newer ones have worked out?

I already have a 590, so how much should I enjoy this one in comparison? For a semi-auto I was thinking of a Stoeger, mainly based on price (i.e. a cheap Benelli with same internals). I know the members here will be biased toward Mossbergs, but has anyone had both and felt the 930 is better?

IIRC, I paid $500 for mine, used.

I'm not aware of an easy way to determine the year of manufacture. Others might know. One thing to check for is the canted front sight. I believe you'll only find the canted front sight on the older models.

I had some problems with mine - some of which are detailed on here - but Mossberg took care of me. Mine runs like a Swiss watch now.

How much will you enjoy it? Only you can decide that. Personally, I like shooting my 930 more than I do my 590, but that's very much a personal preference. Be warned, you will go through a lot more ammunition in a much shorter period of time with the 930. :D

Edit: The one thing I like about my 590 more than my 930 is the ability to replace the stock on the 590 with one that has a shorter LOP.

I paid around $500 for a brand new 930 SP Roadblocker.....not sure how to identify the manu. date, maybe on the original box if available but if, possible take some snap caps with you and inspect it visually (thoroughly) and run it through the motions.

MossLvR said:
I paid around $500 for a brand new 930 SP Roadblocker.....not sure how to identify the manu. date, maybe on the original box if available but if, possible take some snap caps with you and inspect it visually (thoroughly) and run it through the motions.

Unfortunately, snap caps won't help him identify extraction/feed issues. Those were the problems I was having.

The Road Blocker is a less expensive gun than the SPX. The cheapest I could find a new SPX was for $567 at GFA (check/cash discount): http://www.gunforall.com/shopcart/mcart ... s%20%20mat

Edit: Check the bore well. I had started to see some corrosion in mine before I sent it off to Mossberg.

I bought my 930 SPX from WholesaleHunter.com for $575. No extra fee for credit card and shipped the next day.

Back