• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shaving ???

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
So moments ago, while im shaving the better half says
Honey does anyone else do that anymore ? Do what ? Make shaving cream.
Hmm well i suppose they do or it would not be for sale anymore.
Dont you want new stuff ?
Il buy you a "nice" razor.
a what ! A nice razor ! Have you tried to find a true worth a damn DE mine are antique pieces of art !!! Never touch NO i dont want to change !!!! Aaarrrgghhh leave me alone with my 40 year perfected shaving ritual. Its sacred, as are my razors.

Ok so what say yall ?20180713_053112.jpg

I just use Gillette disposable and cold water, not as cool as old school but it gets the job done and thanks to my Drill Sargeant I`ve been doing it the same since 1975......:)

My grandfather had that type of kit set up in his bathroom. Not calling you old... I wouldn't mind investing in the old tried and true methods of shaving. He had a straight razor.

Damn it man... gonna have to add a shave kit to the list. But to be fair I shave like once a week.

Well part of it is nostalgia and i like the feel. The upside is i buy like 20 blades for around 6 bucs delivered and the last me over a year easy.
Word of warn the newish DE razors like pawnstar guy advertises are trash, the old original usa stuff will last several lifetime properly cared for.

I shave about once a week also. I have several straight razors and a double edge razor (like dj's). I use soap in the shower to shave. I used to use the mach 2, but that was just getting too expensive for me. I actually like this razor more that the mach 2 but once in a great while, I'll use a double if I'm pressed for time....

I always used a Shick injector, but now I just use whatever disposibles my wife buys.

But I have a 2-head Norelco travel razor I use a lot too.

I don't buy canned shaving cream anymore. Whatever soap we have will do.

In my travel kit I have a stick of shaving soap and brush, and a single blade disposable... that way at least i don't have to worry about liquids when going through scanners.
(although once, the x-ray did pick up the soap as a liquid..?!?!).
At home I use a can of shaving gel and a Wilkinson Sword multi blade thing.. but I only shave every 2 days, so each cassette lasts several months.

I used to shave at least twice a week. I'm one of those guys that gets 5 o'clock shadow before lunch time.

These days, I hate to do anything other than just keep it trimmed up every now and then. Which I'm probably over-do for now. My wife was telling me last night I need to shave that beard off. Says something about all that grey in it making me look a lot older than I am.

I've earned every one of those grey hairs LOL

Suspect most of these young folks have never experienced a really good shave that you can only get from shaving soap, a cup & brush and a straight razor. Plus a steamy hot towel.

However, the old double edge blade are almost as good.

Makes shaving an enjoyment not a task!

Regards

I don't enjoy shaving. I do it about 5 times a week. It's a bore and time waster even tho' it only takes me a couple of minutes. Nothing special about my equipment or soaps. I couldn't tell you what I used last without going into the head and checking.

Some guys look great w/ facial hair. The only time I tried [28 yo] was when I went to a 2 week school in Dayton at the NCR factory. I was away from home and I didn't shave the 'stache at all. After 12 days I couldn't stand the feel of it so off it went before my wife ever saw it. No pix.

I have worn all kinds of beards and mustaches and sideburns in my life.

I can't claim that they all looked fantastic. I have one of those scraggly Irish looking beards.

I thought it all looked too stupid once I went bald, so I limit myself to just the mustache and no sideburns.

Those old style razors can still be found if that’s what people want. I see them sometimes. I wouldn’t actually know personally, a razor hasn’t touched my skin in ... 5 years? Something like that. But when I did, there was specific kind of cheap disposable razor that I could use with just water. No shaving cream or anything. I always wanted a nice shave. But I also always wanted to not shave.

See....I am kinda kinky when it comes to putting steel to my head. If I am going to do it it has to be good. Every single day.View attachment 18753

I used to shave my melon. I miss those days of low maintenance. She who must be obeyed has me keeping my hair for now. Even though I have contracted a significant case of monkey butt

I only shave/trim in the warmer months and usually wear a full beard and head of hair during the colder months. My face has not been clean shaven completely in over 35 years. My skin tends to be very sensitive to razors. However, when do I shave or shape/trim my beard, I used to use a brass injector razor I found when I was young. I really liked the way it handled and shaved, but the blades became expensive and sometimes hard to find, so I switched to a double edged razor a few years back. It gives the same close shave, but it is heavier and not as ergonomically shaped as my old brass injector razor. I too use and prefer the shaving soap in a cup and brush most of the time I can load the brush with hot water to soap up, but shaving cream in a can works too when it is free or cheap. (yea, I'm cheap, or thrifty as my wife says) I discovered several years ago that the Harbor Freight 3 blade cordless rotary electric shaver works really well to keep my (double edged razor shaved) areas of my trimmed face clean shaven if I use it daily. I just splash on some alcohol based pre-shave lotion and cut away; not having to worry about lather. The cordless shaver has the added benefit of not cutting my beard, but only the stubble I previously shaved, so I do not need a mirror; usually shaving in the mornings as I sit at my computer (love being retired). After many years of still using the cordless HF shaver, I am just now considering replacing it with a new one as the batteries and blades are getting worn. It is much easier using the electric shaver as long as I do not let my stubble get too long, then it is back to the double edged razor and lather routine. I also mix up my own homemade after shave and pre-shave concoctions as they are mostly alcohol anyway to disinfect from the razor.

Back