• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shelf Life For Coleman Fuel

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I guess the title pretty much sums it up. I was wondering what the shelf life was on unopened cans and then how long is it good after opening? Looked around with Google but was finding a lot of varying thoughts.

Thanks OM. That pretty much answers it.

Funny, Coleman was one that didn't come up in my search.

I've been wondering what the shelf life is on Grade 1 Kerosene.

I have some in 55 gallon drums that I bought back in 1995. Matter of fact, I already had 100 gallons before the "red dye" law went into effect back in 1998 I think.

Of those 100 gallons, I still have about 60 left that I have kept for emergencies to use in kerosene lamps, and kerosene heaters for when the electricity goes out in the dead of winter.

I used about 5 gallons of it through a sprayer to burn off some overgrowth around the rock wall property boundary late last summer and it still worked fine.

I have a gallon of colemam fuel at my cabin that is probably 20 years old and is still good. We only use it in the lantern to follow blood trails at night.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

Many "camp fuels" have been reformulated in the past couple years, due to the unfortunate fact that camp fuel has been abused as a precurser in the illegal manufacture of methamphetamine.

I have a can of coleman fuel that is also at least 20 or so years old. It was opened about that many years ago and still does fine. I have not bought any Coleman fuel in about ten years.

Great, more planned obsolescence.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

Wow, I have about 8 gallons of Coleman fuel that I stored out in my shed around 7 years ago for emergencies. All in single gallons.

I hope it's still good. From some of the responses in this thread I'm guessing it should be. I'll have to check it out.

I found some under the house that was at least 20 yrs old, worked fine. My question is if the stuff made today is of the same quality? I bet the cans it comes in won't last 20 years!

Back