• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shells that go too far into magazine

chrismetallica1 said:
Try checking the mad tube is fully round and straight. Get a wooden dowel same internal diameter as the tube and tap it through with a rubber mallet. If it still jams get a new tube

I'll try that if I can find a proper sized dowel...

Why wouldn't a distorted tube affect shells besides just the last one loaded? If I load 3 shellls, I've not once had an issue with shells number 2 and 3 to rack and chamber. If the tube was distorted wouldn't it cause feed problems on all shells and not just the last l one I put in?
Thanks for helping me understand what's going on here...

i just checked my 500. if you put your finger into the mag tube pushing down the follower do you feel a small ridge where the mag tube meets the receiver? this very small ridge should be even all around.
just another thought.

Feels even to me. Tomorrow I will have a look-see with the inside micrometer again. The tube was within .01 to .005 on all of the measurements I took today but I wasn't focusing on the tube so maybe I missed something.

The tube seems to be round, relative to the follower. I couldn't get on a .800 dowel to try the recommended test procedure.

I'm ready to try to throw money at the problem; do you guys think I should try a new tube first, or a new spring and follower?

bolivianram said:
The tube seems to be round, relative to the follower. I couldn't get on a .800 dowel to try the recommended test procedure.

I'm ready to try to throw money at the problem; do you guys think I should try a new tube first, or a new spring and follower?

I could also ship this to Mossberg for service..

its a new gun i would give mossberg a call and see what they can come up with before you start buying new parts.

I was the person with the problem Mossy 410. However my problem was not a sticking shell but difficulty in inserting the 410 shell into the tube. Four out of five times the shell would hang up and fail to slide in and I would have to wriggle it around until it overcame whatever was causing the jam. I have inspected the orifice and cannot see any reason why this should occur. It is the only small thing which makes this superb little shotgun not 100%. I have the fully moderated/silenced model and shooting the 3 inch Fiocchi shells it kills crows out to 50yrds no problem. Any ideas ??????????????

By the way , I am in the UK, and shoot all winged game and also hunt with a rifle.
Well into retirement!!

welcome from NY,,,the other side of the pond. you get a chance post a pic or two of your mossy.

Thanks OM. I have some stored but at this moment this infernal machine is not allowing me access to my photo stores. My computer guru has to make a visit. As soon as it clears I will put something together. N

sus scrofa,
I have had and experienced similar issues with various shotguns. It's always down to the tube either being slightly out of round or a small burr. As I said in an earlier post making sure the mag tube is round with a dowel is always a good option. Also polishing the internal of the tube is always good. You can use a .410 mop on a section of cleaning rod. Just chuck it up in a drill with a little lapping compound on it and run it up and down the mag tube. Then clean the mag tube add the spring follower and a little frog lube. It should improve function.

Glad to see another person form the UK is on the forum :)

All the best

Chris

I had a similar problem. It was at the far end of the magazine being so slightly out of round. In my case it was a tri-rail putting uneven pressure on the tube. Shells were getting stuck on the last one loaded.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 2

I shipped mine in to Mossberg with some written descriptions and photos from this thread. I'll let you know what they say!

For the $17 to ship it, it would have been practically as much money and time to trial and error new springs, tubes, etc rather than just get an answer right from the manufacturer. I'm too busy to use it for a few weeks anyway.

It's due to deliver to their facility tomorrow, per the tracking info.

bolivianram said:
I shipped mine in to Mossberg with some written descriptions and photos from this thread. I'll let you know what they say!

For the $17 to ship it, it would have been practically as much money and time to trial and error new springs, tubes, etc rather than just get an answer right from the manufacturer. I'm too busy to use it for a few weeks anyway.

It's due to deliver to their facility tomorrow, per the tracking info.

I got my gun back from mossberg. Based on the lack of my wrench marks and that it is LocTited in place, seems to me they replaced the mag tube. Hopefully, I don't need to try to take it off again anytime soon! The shells I have seem to be working just fine, and there was a couple extras included when mossberg shipped back the shotgun. Overall I am very pleased with the service!

,,,,glad to hear you have your gun back and all is good. :D

+1 for mossberg.

This is an interesting problem. I'm thinking when the shells are loaded they are all being aligned by the shell ahead of them in the magazine tube. The last shell is not pushing on another shell but the follower. If the follower is bent or misshapen in any way it might be cocking the last shell and locking it into the magazine. With the magazine tube removed, if shells are sliding easily back and forth through the tube I would replace the follower and see what happens.

Also, I don't remember, but does this happen with all shells? Maybe a different brand will resolve the problem.

Mossberg replaced the tube (and possibly spring and follower but I can't tell) and it works fine now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Took this shotgun out for the first extended use (before and after repairs) and I am in love with it! Informal thrown clay pigeons, shot 70 Winchester target shells, and near the end of the session I had two rounds of 6 straight consecutive powdered targets and a bunch of 4/6 5/6 rounds as well. I am definitely getting one of those spring loaded contraptions.

No shotgun malfunctions to speak of, love my tritium bead as it still works great in daylight, and love my LimbSaver. Now I've got to learn better "pointing" instead of Aiming.

Clays are a LOT of fun when you hit them. After I pattern my loads with chokes, I might never shoot paper again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back