• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave Failure to Feed

Sluffo

Copper BB
Picked up a new Shockwave back in June and finally got a chance to take it to the range yesterday. Only put 20 rounds through it, but of those, 2 failed to feed and upon inspection they showed a strip of brass that got peeled back when being racked into the barrel (see pics). Both were catching on a sharp edge of the barrel in the same spot.

I also have a 590A1 that I've put hundreds of the exact same shells through without a single hiccup.

Anyone else come across this? I'm wondering if I should send it back to Mossberg or just take it to a gunsmith and have the sharp edge of the barrel smoothed over.

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 28
I really dislike telling new members, with new guns, to contact the company, but Mossberg will fix it and will be covered under warranty.

I hate that happened.

Can you tell where the burr is? May be easier to see if the barrel was removed from the gun.

I really dislike telling new members, with new guns, to contact the company, but Mossberg will fix it and will be covered under warranty.

I hate that happened.

Can you tell where the burr is? May be easier to see if the barrel was removed from the gun.

You can see where they got hung up in these pictures. Looks like when they stamped/machined the small chamfers on each side they ended up more straight instead of following the normal curve of the barrel. Seems like it's just enough that the brass catches sometimes depending on how much side pressure is applied. I guess I don't really know why those chamfers are cut in the barrel to begin with but they leave a sharp edge that is catching and peeling the brass.

Guess I'll be calling Mossberg on Monday. Oh well...sh*t happens sometimes.

IMG_3305-1.jpg IMG_3304-1.jpg IMG_3321-1.jpg IMG_3316-1.jpg

Yeah, I think they're going to replace that barrel altogether. The notch is the relief cut for the extractor.

Despite the problem, I do hope that you hang around the forum.

You sound lucky like me. Take 4,000 DVD players on a shelf and one is defective in the 4000 ... guess who gets it LOL Good luck. Hopefully they will just send you a new barrel

Back