• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shooting 590A1 with bayonet attached?

Have any of you guys tried this? Did it work out OK? The reason I ask is because I stumbled across a thread at the M14 forum where they say the bayonet lug with break off if you do this. I am very interested in getting a 20" 590A1 and I would like to try shooting it with the bayonet attached. Thanks.

Looks like I'll be taking the bayonet to the skeet range today...

The simple answer is 'no, it will be fine'. Because a firearm kicks - back into your shoulder - folks commonly believe that everything kicks backwards. In fact the opposite is true. The projectile, shot, slug, gas, etc comes flying out of the muzzle which pushes the shotgun backwards - just like a rocket ship. Therefore most things on a firearm move forward. Your bayonet is standing still and then the gun goes backwards. This is the same as if the bayonet had been pushed towards the muzzle.

This is why accessories should always be be mounted forward, particularly rail-mounted optics. They're going to fly forward when fired, so go ahead and mount them towards the front. This way they have nowhere to go.

So your M7/M9/OKC goes forward, not back into the lug. And I don't think that lug is gonna snap off.

One question I gotta ask...

Why do you feel the need to practice shooting the weapon with the bayonet attached?

There are no wrong answers to that by the way, I'm just curious. Now that I have that out of the way I would imagine that blacksmith is correct. After all, what kind of world do we live in if you can't trust metallurgy advice from a guy named blacksmith? The way I look at it, the bayonet and lug specs should be designed as a defensive tool that will hold up to the type of force and stabbing/twisting pressure exerted during its intended use. If it can't hold up under simple recoil then it's not much good for anything in the first place...

Thanks for the replies. I don't necessarily feel the need to practice with the bayonet attached. However, I would like to be able to shoot it this way, if need be. It sort of defeats the purpose to have a bayonet mount and not be able to use it unless, and until, the gun runs dry. I was taken aback when I was reading guys saying it will automatically break on recoil (from the M14 forum, no less; these guys seem to know what they are talking about).

No bayonet lugs were harmed in the taking of these pitchers. Where is DH when I need him?

About 25 rounds each through the rifle and shotgun. No problems. Since the bayonet moves forward under recoil it cannot damage the lug; it is more likely to slip off the lug since the fingers hold it on with little pressure.

Public Service Reminder: Ontario OKC-3S don't fit the shotgun well.

But the M9 does. That bloated pig of a bayonet has at least one thing going for it.

Back