• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shooting Skeet With My 590A1

I finally went skeet shooting for the very first time last weekend. It was the most fun I had shooting in a long time.

I bought a 24" vent rib 835 ported barrel with screw-in chokes off eBay several months ago for $80 shipped (came with a turkey choke). Almost everyone said to get a 28" barrel (or an O/U), but the prices were $200+ most of the time they didn't match the matte finish of my gun. I bought a factory skeet choke for $10 and the wrench for $5.

I think I did fairly well for a first-timer. I missed a lot, but I also hit a lot. I even managed to hit some doubles which seemed to impress the coaches we had. I know a pump is really not for skeet, but with more practice I think I could do better.

If anyone was ever curious, 835 barrels do fit and function properly on 590/A1 receivers. You just won't be able to load 3.5" shells in it.

Anyway, skeet is a whole lot of fun. Much better than shooting stationary paper targets. I think I'm hooked on this game and will use this set-up until I can save enough for a proper O/U of decent quality. It feels great when that clay breaks.

,,,,,sounds like you had a good time. :D

thanks for sharing the info.

Sounds like another clay addict in the making!
I Love shooting pump guns in Skeet.
Enjoy the game and dont worry about an O/U.
I have beaten people and their $10,000 guns with my <$200 500 pump.

Oh yeah! Shooting skeet is awesome, I hate paying though..$7 a round.. I also use my Grandpas old Rem Model 31 which is awesome. It defiantly feels good hitting the doubles with a pump!

It took me a bit of time to get the order down 4,4,2,2,2,4,4,2...but finally got it :D

I reallllly want to do this too! The prices for barrels from Mossberg are so ridiculous though... eBay is looking like a good idea!

Op: Congrats. Are you still keeping up with the skeet shooting? I guess I would look pretty silly with an A1 w/o a Turkey choke but that is an interesting sport!

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing.

RBA

WCMTWS said:
Oh yeah! Shooting skeet is awesome, I hate paying though..$7 a round.. I also use my Grandpas old Rem Model 31 which is awesome. It defiantly feels good hitting the doubles with a pump!

It took me a bit of time to get the order down 4,4,2,2,2,4,4,2...but finally got it :D

We just went to $6 a round for non-members, $5 for members but kept the $60/20 round card ($3 per round). Since I don't get to shoot very often 20 rounds will last me a while.

I'm in a club with trap and skeet ( leagues too) - 105 acres of all-around shooting goodness! once certified on the equipment members get a key, supply the clays and run their own sessions.

Ours is an all-around shooting facility. Skeet, trap and 5-stand along with rifle/pistol/archery. The equipment is kept looked up except for a manual thrower. I guess there were some problems in the past. You can pick up clays from the range if you want (there are plenty).

Back