• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Short Barreled Shotgun-The 500SBS

There are shotgun suppressors, although mostly are more of a ported reflex design where the suppressor tube is over top of the ported barrel that bleeds off some of the gasses into it, making it quieter. Much how the MP5 SD works.

The AOW is a good suggestion where the $5 transfer tax is concerned, however, if the OP builds one himself, it will still cost a $200 making/registering tax, so why not just SBS it to begin with.

Unless his local C3 dealer can acquire a factory built/registered one, then it would transfer for $5. The Super Serbu's are pretty cool.

AK, a SBS is on my list for down the road. Go for it. Mossberg actually a page of them in the 2011 catalog and I think mine has some drool marks on it.

It's nice to see everone here giving you what you asked for (wink wink JohnA).

Which brings up another alternative.

If your local C3 guy orders one factory direct on a form 3, and transfer to you on a form 4, no further engraving is required and you'd have a factory SBS.

I understand the C3/SOT will probably charge a healthy transfer fee to cover his cost and time, but may save you some money in the long run and have a completely factory gun.

I know for sure that mossberg sells SBS because I've seen too many canadian guys with what our laws would consider a short barrel shotgun straight from the factory.

John, I didn't know about shotgun suppressors. Good to know, always learning something new.

Yea, I think if I ever got into the NFA game it might be a Super Shorty. Would almost have to be as I'm currently one of the unlucky ones with no friendly CLEOs to sign off. I'd have to pay for a gun trust. That cost plus only 5 more sounds better than 200. Also as you stated whatever the transferring dealer rapes ya for too in that process.

Might dabble with registering one of the AR lowers at somepoint. That is probably the easiest way into an SBR if you wanna go for the form 1 do it yourself route. Fortunately here in San Antonio there are a couple of FFL holding engravers available that specialize in NFA stuff. I know they prefer a virgin or stripped AR lower. I can only assume they would want a shotgun receiver in the same fashion. Mossbergs are pretty easy to take apart and put back together so maybe it is a viable project after all.

AK, I hope it all works out for you sir. I really do. Hit that class 3 guy up on the phone Monday if you can. I'll be watching the thread for any updates.

John A. said:
Which brings up another alternative.

If your local C3 guy orders one factory direct on a form 3, and transfer to you on a form 4, no further engraving is required and you'd have a factory SBS.

I understand the C3/SOT will probably charge a healthy transfer fee to cover his cost and time, but may save you some money in the long run and have a completely factory gun.

I know for sure that mossberg sells SBS because I've seen too many canadian guys with what our laws would consider a short barrel shotgun straight from the factory.

I think I'll stick to doing my own work and getting a used 500 for WAY less than paying a dealer for a complete gun. I have a feeling I can keep this build to under $500... including the tax stamp! I figured I would start a thread on the whole process and keep you guys updated... you know the... Joe Schmoe guide to home garage NFA weaponry :lol: (<- Wait... does that make me a terrorist?)

Speaking of a 500... I already scoped one on my local gun buyers Facebook group... might be too good of a deal to pass up, but I'm not telling until I decide on :twisted:

First things first, I'm gonna print out my required forms tomorrow morning and at the same time get ahold of the Class 3 FFL, after talking to him I might just have all the answers I need. I remember him advertising a couple of silencers a few months back and he even stated he would help with the registration process, so I'm sure he's got some insight! Keep this one book marked... I'm curious where it'll go :cool:

Geez......You guys and your fancy talk about SBS's and SBR's and Serbu Shorties. I'm jealous........I had a dream one night about owning a Serbu and the State Police showed up at the house the next morning when I woke up with a warrant and a rectal probe. :) LoL.......not really, but all the listed firearms are FAR too scary for us to own here in IL. Actually, they passed a loophole in the laws this year that lets a C&R license holder to purchase a SBR here in Illinois but you still have to get a CLEO sign-off. When I asked the Chief about it here he looked at me like I was reporting a bigfoot sighting. Unfortunately a SBS isn't able to fit through the loophole or I would press the issue with him.....

As far as your situation AK......I'd say if you are just going for 3-4" off of a standard 18.5" barrel it may be more headache than it's worth for a small gain in portability. If you were going to the far end, like a Serbu, I'd think it more worth it since you are losing a whole lot more length. Just my 2 cents.....

Tim4k5 said:
As far as your situation AK......I'd say if you are just going for 3-4" off of a standard 18.5" barrel it may be more headache than it's worth for a small gain in portability. If you were going to the far end, like a Serbu, I'd think it more worth it since you are losing a whole lot more length. Just my 2 cents.....

Finally a true sceptic, I was waiting Tim!!! :D I definitely see your point... if you're gonna due it, why not go all the way??? This might make more sense once I explain my train of thought. It started with cutting down the H&R Topper I just picked up for steal... it was in rough shape to start, so I thought it would do no harm cutting her down to a manageable siz (I think she's just at 19" now down from 28" ;) )... whilst doing some youtube browsing I came across some SBS single shots...10ga variety (<- SWEET stuff... go take a look!) That got the ball started on the SBS. First I thought i should do this on the H&R, but...then I looked over at my 590 and got the idea for a Mossberg variety SBS.

So... here I am, ready to dive into the NFA world... I think. Like I said before... if the process turns out to be WAY more complicated than it's worth, I'll just stare at other peoples SBS's and drool. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and it'll be easy... and I'll end up with one sweet conversation piece at the range... but no less lethal in front of a home invader!

ZombieHunterD said:
If i was to build sbs, i would use a shotgun that uses a box magazine. But those are harder to find and cost more.

I could probably build 3 Mossberg SBS's for the price of one Saiga, at least for what they're going for now :lol:

aksavanaman said:
Finally a true sceptic, I was waiting Tim!!! :D I definitely see your point... if you're gonna due it, why not go all the way???

LoL......I wasn't really being a skeptic. :) My rationale is pretty similar to your own in regards to the gain/headache ratio. I honestly don't know what kind of hoops and headaches are involved with a SBS.......Trying to buy or build one here in Hellinois would be the equivalent of shopping for a tactical nuke, so I've never looked into it.

The H&R could be a fun project gun if the headaches don't outweigh the gains.....or shopping around for a side-by-side to chop down.....lol

Yeah.. the H&R cut down to just past the hand guard... once again Why not right??? If anything it would look bad ass!

I've been looking around, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of 500's that fit the SBS category. The only Mossberg SBS's I've been able to research are 590's. Now it's even more of a challenge.... one of a hand full of 500's to be converted to a shorty (can you tell it's getting to my head???)... off to bed, I've got lots to dream about :lol: :lol: :lol:

aksavanaman said:
ZombieHunterD said:
If i was to build sbs, i would use a shotgun that uses a box magazine. But those are harder to find and cost more.

I could probably build 3 Mossberg SBS's for the price of one Saiga, at least for what they're going for now :lol:

That's very true, cost is a big factor. I'm just saying if I was to do a short barrel it would be ideal for a box fed mag wo I'm not limited on capacity. I was thinking more along the lines of a izh-81, there was one for sale locally not too long ago

thats one of the beautiful things about a shotgun. Keep ammo on you and you are supposed to replace what you shoot through combat loads....you are the magazine. Shoot one put one back, shoot two put two back, combat reload

I won't argue on that. Plus tube is more reliable over a magazine. But it would be a cool/different sbs build. Plus you easily have the option of changing a round easier with a tube fed making it better for tactical use. But having a 5-7 round mag taped to another mag for easily reload would be lightning quick. But once you run out of mags load time increases. Lol

Class III guy must be taking a day off so I'll get his personal insight tomorrow (hopefully)... But I did start filing out the required forms :D Any suggestions on the fingerprinting, I'm assuming my local LEO's should be able to do the standard FBI printing???

ZombieHunterD said:
I won't argue on that. Plus tube is more reliable over a magazine. But it would be a cool/different sbs build. Plus you easily have the option of changing a round easier with a tube fed making it better for tactical use. But having a 5-7 round mag taped to another mag for easily reload would be lightning quick. But once you run out of mags load time increases. Lol

Mhhh dreams, I've only seen one AK type shotgun for sale around, and he was asking $1400... maybe I can find the dude that bought it and take it from him when the Zombies come :lol:

Maybe start with a 590 and keep the magazine extension possibility open? You could maintain a 7+1 without fear of blowing the end of the extension off with a stray pellet :D Just another option lol

CS Metal Werks sells some neat AOW and SBS. Maybe check their site out to get an idea of what is available!

http://www.csm-w.com/

I say go all the way then... Start with a 590... get a 14" barrel... keep the 8 shot mag tube (modify it somehow to still hold the barrel) and add a +2 extension. YEAH BABY! 11 shot SBS 590!!!! No need to worry about the pattern... half your shot will end up in the extension tube :lol:

AK, i got this on my bucket list,,,,

Attachments

• bucket list.jpg
    bucket list.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 227
Back