• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Short LOP and turkey loads do not mix

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
A while back I put a short LOP Hogue stock on my 870. I really liked how compact it made the gun and how well it worked shooting from a squared stance. Today I decided to pull the old 870 out and pattern it with 3" turkey loads. With damn near every shot I was hitting myself in the face with my right thumb.

I guess I had not shot any hard kicking loads after installing the stock.

If I hunt with this gun, I definitely need to put the full size stock back on it. On the upside, it patterned really well.

Or maybe put on one of those slip on pads. That may get the length out there a smidgen more.

Maybe, I need to do something.

2018-04-29 20.51.49.jpg

Left: Mossbeg 930, Primos Tite Wad choke and W Longbeard XL #6

Center: Remington 870, Primos Jellyhead choke and W Longbeard XL #6's

Right: same 870/choke combo but using Federal Grand Slam #6's.

Man I love the Lonbeard XL!!!

These are all at 25 yards.
2018-04-29 21.00.01.jpg

Left: 870 with Longbeard @ 50 yards. Decent but a little low and left of POA Most likely me after getting punched in the face several times I developed a slight flinch. LOL

Right, just trying some slugs (not legal for turkey but perfectly acceptable for paper) Note I did change to a modified choke for these.

I had tried the Carlson's Longbeard Choke but that didn't pattern as well as my old cheap Tite Wad choke.

My 870 has a 21" turkey barrel with Williams Fire Sights.

My 930 has the factory 28" barrel with TruGlo snap on rear sight and factory fiber front sight. I adjusted the recoil spring and it cycled perfectly this time.

I love the 930, its a turkey killa, but I hunted exclusively with my 870 for many many years and never took a turkey with it.

Nothing wrong with an 870. If you can't kill it with an 870, you're not going to kill it with anything else either ;)

Found an old stock in my box of parts. I'll be installing that one this week.

Spent a few minutes tonight swapping out my short LOP Hogue for my old Std LOP Hogue stock.

I think this will work much better at the task at hand.

Anyone need a short LOP stock for an 870? ;-D

Back