• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shortened my 590A1 OEM stock...

I think i will try this too.. the stock is way to long.. i'm 5.74 and have normal/short arms.. Start with an inch and go from there ?

I think i will try this too.. the stock is way to long.. i'm 5.74 and have normal/short arms.. Start with an inch and go from there ?

I had the same issue with my synthetic speed-feed stock.

I did briefly consider going the same route as the OP (shortening the stock with a saw), but that would not have addressed the other issue I had: cheek weld.

The Magpul mossberg modular stock, though a bit pricey, really does address a lot of the shortcomings of the OEM stocks: better/customized cheek weld; customized LOP; better sling attachments. As well, it makes it a whole lot easier to access the bolt which secures the stock to the rest of the firearm.

Last edited:
The magpul stock is definitely an option. I planned initially to buy it but lacked money. I have read / seen many reviews of it. I have not done anything with the default stock yet..

Was plowing through several "shotgun short stock " videos on Youtube to have a lot of good input before i start doing anything, and found this video made by Rossignol :)

Was plowing through several "shotgun short stock " videos on Youtube to have a lot of good input before i start doing anything, and found this video made by Rossignol :)
An oldie but a goodie lol. I watched that video many moons ago and forgot about. Thanks for the reminder.

It seems that most people find the Mossberg LOP to be to long. I ended up with a Hogue over molded shorter stock. It works great for me and it has been on for years now.

An oldie but a goodie lol. I watched that video many moons ago and forgot about. Thanks for the reminder.

It seems that most people find the Mossberg LOP to be to long. I ended up with a Hogue over molded shorter stock. It works great for me and it has been on for years now.
Yeah the original stock feels way to long. I have seen the Hogue stock in some videos.
The Hogue over molded stock is very expensive on Amazon UK ~£ 120 ( $ 156 )
Is it exactly 12" or is it 12.25" ?

Last edited:
Yeah the original stock feels way to long. I have seen the Hogue stock in some videos.
The Hogue over molded stock is very expensive on Amazon UK ~£ 120 ( $ 156 )
Is it exactly 12" or is it 12.25" ?

The Hogue stock length of pull is 12" per the website. The Mossberg length of pull is 14.25". The Hogue stock was a little to short for me and I added a Limbsaver butt pad which I recall put 1" back. I am 5 feet 6 inches tall. I am sorry to hear how much a Hogue stock would cost you. Good luck!

Yeah.. i think i will end up around 13"-ish. im aprox 5' 7"
I have removed the original buttpad and walk around in my apartment aiming at walls.
Just the buttstock one inch ( almost ) feels a lot better.. lol

Last edited:
It is done ! My stock is now 3 cm ( 1.18" ) shorter. Now i need to drill some new holes for the screwes.
If i have calculated it correctly, the LOP will be 13 and 1/8 " with the recoil pad.
First pic gives the impression it isnt straight, but its a good cut in a band saw by ex father-in-law

20190202_224035_hd.jpg

20190202_224437_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Recoil pad is there.. nothing fancy, but it will work.
Now i will do some more test shooting for some time before i either wrap it up and fix the details or continue shortening the stock.

20190203_025247_hd.jpg

It doesnt look bad actually.. i expected it to look weirder..
I has been standing beside my desk since yesterday and i have been glancing at it now and then and it looks a bit cool now :)
If its me justifying the weirdness or if its really cool i dont know lol

I also did this yesterday. A tip I was shown to me from my skeet shooting guys, is in order to sand down you butt pad, you put in the freezer for 48 hours. Then screw it on the stock. Use a silver sharpie and trace on the butt pad what you need to sand off. Then sand almost all the silver line off with coarse sand paper before switching to very fine sand paper to get the final shape the way you like it. Good luck guys
ps. use some type of orbital sander to do this. I use the 5 inch paper

Back