• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shorting mossberg 500 stock

My stock is to long on my 500. I have searched you tube and can't find nothing on how to cut it. Has anyone done this? Need to make it shorter so I can shoot it comfortably. Would like to put the butt pad back on to. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our site search should produce a few posts.

There have been a few members here who have cut/shortened their factory stocks. I believe @old mossy is one of them...

Mines a plastic stock. Not sure what to cut it with and how deep the scew holes go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398556188.222201.jpg

My stock is to long on my 500. I have searched you tube and can't find nothing on how to cut it. Has anyone done this? Need to make it shorter so I can shoot it comfortably. Would like to put the butt pad back on to. Thanks

I shortened (12 inch LOP) both my black plastic and the wooden stock. First, I measured and marked my stock with pencil, then put a piece of quick release making tape on so they would not splinter or chip. I made a jig for my bandsaw (a sled) so teh stock was absolutely flat. I then just put the stock in the sled and slowly made my cut. Teh holes in the recoil pad still fit in the same holes. You wil have to sand the recoil pad down to match stock to compensate the piece removed. Keep the masking tape on and leave the recoil pad slighly "proud" unless you plan on refinishing the stock (wood stock only).
Here is are the links to my 500.http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/model-50515.9384/page-3#post-126626
I sold the plastic stock and forend to a fellow forum member and put the wood furniture on. Same thing for the cut on it.
Ron

Attachments

• sh2.jpg
    sh2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 20
  • sh4.jpg
    sh4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 17
Back