• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun Bead Sights

Re: 590 bead

Yup, my new 590's getn a Meprolight Tritium/Fiber-Optic front bead. Optics Planet is runnin a sale on em right now.

Yep, Lazy is right, its threaded 5/40. If youre lookin at after market beads like Meprolight or Marbles, they should have beads listed or designated for "Mossberg". If not, look for the 5/40.

Here's a pic of the night sight I'm putn on mine...

Meprolight Trijicon Fiber-Optic Bead

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Here's a pic of the night sight I'm putn on mine...

Meprolight Trijicon Fiber-Optic Bead

I put the same bead on my daughters 500! Not for a night sight, but she has a 24" field barrel and double bead, she liked the contrast between the 2 beads... I've shot with the 2 beads, I like it. ;)

I've come to value night sights, not just for the ol' bump in the night scenario, but for many low or variable light shooting environments. These meprolights enable much faster target acquisition and sight alignment. My local range is outdoors but with a covered shooting position. It can get pretty dark at the bench and the night sights definitely help to ease the strain on the eyes.

Meprolight Tritium Mossberg 500/590 Shotgun Bead

We have had a Meprolight big dot tritium bead for sometime now, but Allison has been using it for quite awhile. I only just recently got it back...

Mossberg Night Sight TD M500 5-40 bead sight

ML_34045b.jpg

My 590A1 has been fitted with the Meprolight tritium bead in all the recent video I have posted. The dot isnt as green as whats pictured above, but rather white and white ringed as you would imagine. In the dark however it is more or less green, still not like what is pictured.

From Meprolight;

Get the Meprolight® Advantage :
Unequaled Low Light Performance
Brightest Night Sights Available Today
Used by Military & Law Enforcement
Rifle/Shotgun sight are covered by a 5 years usable illumination warranty to orginal purchaser.

The ML - 34044 shotgun bead is a 5-40 thread size, which fits the Mossberg shotguns.

First Impressions:
Its a small piece and is fairly low profile with the barrel. Also, the finish matches the parkerized 590A1 very very well, pretty much indistinguishable one finish to the next.

Installation:
Installation is simple, more or less... Remove the existing bead, and thread the Meprolight into its place. Heres the thing... The Meprolight bead will bottom out past center, not aligned with the barrel. To back it off means it isnt snug so you have to add something between the bead and barrel. I have heard of some folks using black electrical tape in a couple layers and then carefully trimming the excess back so nothing is visible beyond the edges of the bead. I however used some thin doe kid skin leather and it worked perfectly. Snugged up nicely and wont move without a good deal of effort.

Uses:
Well, its an excellent upgrade from a standard bead sight, and since the bead of the 590A1 is black, this is much easier to pick up in your sight picture. I have yet to do any night shooting, but its clearly visible in the dark without messing up your night vision. In the video I have posted its clearly quick to aquire a target. Even Allison had no issues using it on my 590A1. I'm lovin the Meprolight and it may have found permanent residence...

I'm happy to link up some video if you like of that 590A1 in action breaking clays at 12 yards with full power Winchester Super X 00 buck!

Re: Meprolight Tritium Mossberg 500/590 Shotgun Bead

That looks like a really nice replacement for the factory bead sight!

Hmm... I wonder how some blue loc-tite would hold up? I had to torque my Truglo Fatbead WAY past the point of comfort for me to get it to line up. It's all metal, but I still had my fingers crossed. I'm torn between this, the truglo universal snap on sight DHonovich posted and just slapping the white bead that came on my 835 barrel on my 590a1. I had heard on the internet, which as we all know is the best source for accurate information :lol: that the bolt for the truglo Fatbead extends down into the actual barrel when put on a ribless 590a1 barrel.

This is what I just put on my project 500 barrel. I put it on a plain cylinder bore 18" marine coat finished barrel and as usual the sights threaded stud protruded down into the bore and didn't line up.

Having messed with this sort of stuff for a while, I was taught two ways of taking care of this particular problem. The first is to carefully grind off the stud after you shim the sight and get it lined up, I don't favor this. The second and how I did mine was to use a #60 O ring and then keep fitting the sight by using a stone and slowly removing metal off of the stud and replacing the sight until you have it far enough down to not extend into the bore.

I finish up by degreasing both the barrel threads and the stud on the sight and then a drop of Blue locktight the sight goes back on for the final time and snugged down until it is lined up. By doing it the second way you don't risk scarring the inside of the bore and with the O ring you get good tension on the sight and the locktight insures that it stays put.

If I ever get the gun finished and all back together I hope to get to use the thing to see how I like it. I looked down the barrel and it sure stands out well to my tired old eyes! :D

Wolfgang

Attachments

• HPIM3487.JPG
    HPIM3487.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,995
  • HPIM3485.JPG
    HPIM3485.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,995

Wolfgang, Youre right on with the o ring, I had forgotten about that! And the blue lock tite will def do the trick! ;)

front bead diameter size matters?

Dog229 Here
My front bead is 2 or 3 mm in dia. and i would like to increase it's dia. size to 6 mm in a brass screw in ball stud that is threaded. My eyes are not like they were 20 years ago and i am wanting to know that change will cause any problem being that i am pointing it at target and will not be adding any rear sights . I like to keep it clean and simple for using on my farm. I also check the height and it is 6 mm to so would this change my mounting it to my shoulder be any different? My gun is 590A1 with 18.5 barrel
Thanks
Dog229 Gone

Re: front bead diameter size matters?

The height might make a bit of a difference, but when you practice you'll figure it out to adjust your aim point.
Like you my eyes are not what they used to be. i added LPA ghost ring and front sight to my 500C
with short bbl. If you hit what you aim at with the small sight you will still hit with the larger bead.

Re: front bead diameter size matters?

ladytech777 said:
The height might make a bit of a difference, but when you practice you'll figure it out to adjust your aim point.
Like you my eyes are not what they used to be. i added LPA ghost ring and front sight to my 500C
with short bbl. If you hit what you aim at with the small sight you will still hit with the larger bead.

Agreed! It wont change it drastically and it may even be un noticable! A little shooting will have it figured out! ;)

Back