• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun newbie

Don Bouquet

Copper BB
I have just bought my first shotgun, a Mossberg 500 Model #50579 (7+1) in 12 Gauge. I just now found out that none of the ranges will let a 20" barrel shoot skeet. Now I have no place to even try it out! Is there a longer barrel that will fit this 8 shot gun? I tried the Mossberg site, but did not find my model. Help!!

Don, welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.

When I bought my 500 used about 20 years ago it came w/ both a 28" and 20" bbl. So I know that longer bbls are available. I don't know where to point you to a convenient purchase, tho'. Besides the normal retailers, try pawn shops and contact local FFLs that may have a feel for the supply.

license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Welcome to the forum Don.

It's unfortunate that your local ranges suck. And even more unfortunate that you just can't shoot at some place other than a range.

The 7+1 shotgun barrels are sort of unique, in where the magazine tube is so long.

There is a way to fit any standard Mossberg 500 12 gauge barrel onto it, however, you'll have to swap out the long magazine tube that is on the gun for the shorter version, plus obviously the barrel too.

I know that's not probably the news that you are wanting to hear, but I don't know of a way to do a simple barrel swap on that particular model.

Thanks, John A.!! I can do that. 5 shot magazine and 28" standard barrel for the range, and the longer magazine and shorter barrel for home defense.

That is a solution for you Don but it sure is a PITA. What weird range rules they have in your area.

Come to my house and we will see that you can shoot the hell out of your shotgun with no worries.

One of my things in life is buying beat 500s and building whatever platform I'm feeling. Just created an 18.5" 500A with a bantam stock for my shortest shotgun without a pistol grip. In Connecticut I can buy a used 500A 28" barrel all day for $50. Newington Gun Exchange has about 8 of them now. Can't help you with a standard 28" barrel, but I have a new 5 round magazine tube take-off in camo you can have for free if you want it. Then your standard Mossberg 500 28" barrel will fit it. My experience is the magazine spring (and follower, of course) from the 7 round magazine works fine in the 5 shot tube. PM me if you want it.

One of my things in life is buying beat 500s and building whatever platform I'm feeling. Just created an 18.5" 500A with a bantam stock for my shortest shotgun without a pistol grip. In Connecticut I can buy a used 500A 28" barrel all day for $50. Newington Gun Exchange has about 8 of them now. Can't help you with a standard 28" barrel, but I have a new 5 round magazine tube take-off in camo you can have for free if you want it. Then your standard Mossberg 500 28" barrel will fit it. My experience is the magazine spring (and follower, of course) from the 7 round magazine works fine in the 5 shot tube. PM me if you want it.

You ROCK~~~~

Now there's a deal that can't be beat! You can try ebay for barrels. last time I was checking they had dozens of them at various prices, decent ones starting around $50 and new ones from about $80 on up.

OK, Don. I'll ship it out Monday. If you are a newbie check this forum carefully on how to remove your magazine tube without crushing it. Heat gun (hair dryer on high for 10 minutes has worked to break the Loctite on a few I've done) and a rubber strap wrench works best for me. Many ideas on this forum.

Tube and spring going out Monday morning. USPS Tracking 9500 1000 3019 8084 0001 18 Expected in Hiram, GA on March 29. Now get a 28" barrel and get it done.

Tube and spring going out Monday morning. USPS Tracking 9500 1000 3019 8084 0001 18 Expected in Hiram, GA on March 29. Now get a 28" barrel and get it done.
Have you tracked this package, Don? My God, what are they doing with your magazine tube? Last I tracked it's in Florida? today. Left Connecticut the 25th of March First Class.

Good news, Don..............tracking indicates the magazine tube shipped First Class has finally arrived in Georgia! 2 weeks after mailing it!

Back