• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun primer question.

Oddcaliber

.270 WIN
Ok,I've been told that the primer in shotgun shells makes no difference in performance . A 209 is a 209 no matter who makes them. I do realize that shotgun shells require specific components to work safely. Any information is appreciated.

I've only been reloading a few years, but I have done thousands and tested hundreds. I hoard them, well, because I love the shotguns.

When reloading, I noticed certain brands of hulls fit too loose with certain brands of 209 primers. They are not all exactly the same, brand-to-brand: not the hulls nor the new primers. After firing, the used hulls will vary, and sometimes a lot.

I have Winchester, Remington, and Federal 209s, and load a big assortment of used range hulls. Most are from me and my buddies, but I'm not picky and have reloaded lots of orphans left by other members.

I just select the primers based on which one fits correctly when pressed in. I run the hulls in matched batches, so I'm not switching primers all the time. If I get a primer that pressed too easy, I will usually knock it out and toss that hull, as a non-match, even though it might be from the same box as the rest. I want a box of shells to have all the same components, even if it ends up short a round. I hate getting a non-uniform performance, so I weigh each charge. I weigh the hulls, and toss any seeming too light or heavy compared to their mates. I don't care how long I spend to load a box, as I'm not doing it for profit.

I have always used whatever brand a specific load calls for.

When it comes to reloading, erring on the side of caution is my philosophy

I have always used whatever brand a specific load calls for.

When it comes to reloading, erring on the side of caution is my philosophy

This is very important, particularly when starting out, to begin with a respected and established formula.

Now I do make a few special loads, but I'm not doing high-pressure or magnum loads for the shotgun.

In any event, always tread lightly.

Never use loose feeling primers, no matter what it says in the book. After you've pressed a few, you'll feel it when you get one that presses a little too easy.
Usually they will knock back out easily enough, and I've never had one pop off, but wear safety glasses please.
You can also just blow it off in a gun, but never powder such a hull.

I cannot say that I've ALWAYS stuck to published data. I have been loading for a few calibers that you can't even find commercial load data for yet.

With that said, different recipes call for different things. Probably for a reason.

I don't want to say it doesn't matter, but if you're going to swap components, I urge you to start low and work your way up slowly while watching for signs. Hopefully, you don't just blow right past the point of no return with the first one you pull the trigger on.

On the shotgun forums I asked this question and always got the same answer. For shotguns stick to the data in the manual stricktly. You can find different brands of wads that can be substituted, but thats because they are made to the same specs. I have always stuck to the published data and had no problems.

Back