• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Should I get the Heavy Barrel?

Messiah Jones

Copper BB
Hi guys. This is my first post here. I have a 500A now, but want to sell it and get a 590. I know I want all the features of the 590 50660 listed here...
Specifications and Features:
Model: Mossberg Model 590 Special Purpose
Caliber: 12 Gauge 2 3/4" and 3" Shot Shells
Action: Pump Action
Capacity: 8 Rounds
Chokes: Cylinder Bore
Barrel: 20" with Heat Shield
Finish: Parkerized Heavy Synthetic Stock
Recoil Pad: Rubber
Safety: Ambidextrous

The question is whether I should get the heavy barrel version? I don't really want to add weight to the gun, but if it's not too heavy then I might consider it. Any help or advice is appreciated. Just how heavy is the heavy barrel? :?:

7-G50660.jpg

I've got a 590 and 590a1, both in an eight-shot configuration and the difference in weight between the two barrels isn't noticeable. It's the eight rounds in the tube that makes the weapon heavy...

I have the 590A1 51660, the heavy barrel version of the one you mentioned above.

If OFMs site were user friendly in the least id find the exact specs with the weight difference. Have you ever handled a Remington? The Mossy A1 and Remington are very close in weight. Like within a couple ounces. Its a heavy gun, noticably heavier than my 20" Persuader, but not so heavy its unweildly. I like the weight of it personally, it begins life right around 7 1/2 lbs.

One thing I changed was the factory stock to the Hogue 12" LOP wich effectively moved the weight of the gun in closer over 2", almost 2 1/2".

Thanks for the replies. I've never held a Remmington so I can't compare. I am glad to hear someone makes a shorter stock since the Mossy is at least 2" too long for me if not more. I had to shoot my 500A without the recoil pad just so I could shoulder the thing.

If the weight between the 590 and 590A1 isn't noticeable like you say then I guess I'll go for the beefier of the two. I can't seem to find one with a bead sight though. All the A1s I'm seeing are ghost ring.

The model number you're looking for is 51660 and I believe I saw one for sale at Bud's this afternoon...

Again, OFMs site is whacked and therefore will only be an excercise in futility. Otherwise id say check that out.

The 51660is a bead sight gun with the fulllength magazine. Its a no frills shotgun, as basic as any.

I have the 50660 model and love it. The heat shield is great during an afternoon of blasting targets. I did change the stock to a speedfeed.
395813_405356502861145_1738511016_n.jpg

Back