• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Should we be against this "anti-gun" bill or FOR it?!

Tom396

.30-06
http://www.ammoland.com/2015/04/ass...-would-encourage-manufacturers/#axzz3WkxZfDpk

The gist is that you turn in a "assault weapon" and you get a $2,000 income tax credit. Credit, not deduction. :eek: Many semi auto rifles qualify. Even a lowly Hi Point carbine.

As a taxpayer, I hate it. But as an individual firearm enthusiast...what a deal! I could turn in my current Hi Point carbine and I'd get back enough to buy TWO new Hi Point carbines, a nice new AR style rifle, AND plenty of 5.56 ammunition to boot ($250 x2 for the Hi Points, $800 for the AR, and $700 left for several cases of 5.56).

So the dilemma is whether to embrace it or reject it. Sounds kinda like a rifle manufacturer's stimulus bill. I hate the government wasting even more of my money, but I'm also pretty self centered. :(

As a gun guy you have to see that its a trick to get firearms from law abiding citizens ...... they cant buy me [emoji107]

They can't and you can buy four if you are a savvy shopper, but why let them buy your disarmament in the first place ?

Giving up my Hi Point carbine, just til my refund arrives would hardly leave me "disarmed". ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

Same thing has been happening for years at the local level.

I remember being in Atlanta for work a few years back when the local news reported on a successful gun "turn in" event where anyone who brought in a gun received free tickets to local sporting events. The camera panned over their proclaimed "impressive collection" of dangerous firearms removed from the streets and it was the most raggedy, rusted assortment of $#!+ ever assembled on a table. I doubt the majority of them were even operational. That farce was an impressive waste of energy and resources.

That said, there are far worse way millions of people cheat the system on a daily basis...

And just where do these returns go?
The muslim brotherhood?
Mexico?

What if I made a pos ghost gun and turned it in. Do I still get money?
Not to mention...you probably have to fill out paperwork...which means you are now on the list...

Nah.... I'll keep mine...

And just where do these returns go?
The muslim brotherhood?
Mexico?

What if I made a pos ghost gun and turned it in. Do I still get money?
Not to mention...you probably have to fill out paperwork...which means you are now on the list...

Nah.... I'll keep mine...

"...Talk about another boon for gun manufacturers. This legislation practically begs you to buy a cheap, new, qualifying firearm (so you can prove legal possession with a receipt) and turn it in for $2,000 in tax credits..."

Take care. Tom Worthington

Guys in Oregon were doing this late last year at a gun and magazine buyback. They were offering $20-$25 for "large capacity" magazines. People were turning in the crappy magazines they had purchased for $10 and under that didn't feed, getting the cash and using it to buy Pmags. They were giving more money for guns. One guy said he buys old, inoperable guns at gun shows and turns them in for a nice little profit.

Hmmmm...if the lower is considered the gun, couldn't one purchase a blem lower and turn it in?

I guess the only thing I really don't like is them using tax money for another wasted effort that will not get one gun away from an actual criminal. It's more feel good b.s.

Maybe congress should spend more time trying to stop the president from giving nuclear technology to Iran, force him to take action against ISIS and stop him from destroying America any more than he has rather than passing useless legislation that uses our tax dollars against us.

Gun "buy-backs" are not a proper use of taxpayer dollars and around here, most have some kind of "sponsor" to fund it or supply the gift cards. Gun dealers are sometimes involved, and get to bid on the guns that aren't junk. I would imagine the PD officers involved are somewhat knowledgeable about firearms and know how to separate the good from the junk. As well as make them safe--many will remove the gun from your vehicle for you to avoid accidents...

I can tell that CT rep is a liberal axhole just by looking at her! :mad: Under NO circumstances should taxpayer $ be used to fund such onerous legislation!

Could I buy a Mossberg 715FT, a 22 cal rifle that looks scary (MSRP $280) at a Dunhams and trade it for the credit?

Back