• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sig M400 facelift

tcecil88

.30-06
Elite Member
I gave my Sig M400 a facelift today. I installed a Crow River Tactical 14.5" one piece quad rail, a GG&G front BUIS, lowpro gas block, Magpul RVG in OD green, and OD green ladder rail covers.
Teardown was normal, I mangaged to drift out the 2 tapered pins in the sight tower without dinging it up to bad. Nothing that won't blend out. That was a pain in the butt. After removing the suppressor and front sight tower, I removed the barrel nut and delta ring, replacing them with the new barrel nut. The new barrel nut has 2 steel pins I inserted at 9 and 3 o'clock, these keep the forend from rotating after the retaining nut is tightened. After that, I dimpled the barrel and installed the gas block with the supplied set screws and some loctite. When I installed the Meprolight front sight post, I relalized that for it to orient correctly, I had to install the front sight where it folded forward instead of back. No big deal I guess.
The forend was then slid into place and the retaining nut tightened with a strap wrench. I reinstalled the suppressor and installed the front sight, vertical grip, and ladder covers and called it done.
Function check and test fire went well, with no malfunctions. The only problem I had was the four retaining screws that secure the rail worked loose. A little loctite and retorque should fix that.

All and all I am happy with the quality of the parts I installed. The rail was easy to install once the front sight post was removed. I wanted a longer rail so that the barrel is well protected and no matter where I grip it, my hand will be protected as well. And at $89 with free shipping, it is a great mid-priced rail for somebody who cannot afford a Sampson, Daniel Defense, Midway or the like.

Nice work man, she looks great!

A lot of manufacturers push their FSP taper pins in with a hydraulic press and they can be a booger to get out. Is that a Ranier XTC brake/flash hider?

Thanks fellas. Yes it is the Rainier XTC. Very little muzzle flip. The sound is hard to judge when I have the house walls on 2 sides when I shoot. I am sure it is louder than normal, but I don't know how much. I don't have a proper range yet, so an extended shooting session is difficult. I want to get the irons sighted in and then the 1-4x scope and my reflex sight, which are both on QD mounts.
One thing I noticed is one of my Meprolight dots on my rear appeture has dimmed. Those are less than 2 years old so I gotta contact Meprolight and get a new one.

very nice! .....wats the idea with the front sight mounting, personal pref ?

Thanks, Oil! The Meprolight front site post is the old style 5 notch instead of the current 4 notch style. In order to get the correct alignment where I can see the dot, I had to flip it around. Not typical for sure, but at least I can still use it.

I called Meprolight today to check on my warranty claim. They said the sight was defective and they would be sending me a new rear aperture. Should have it soon. Meanwhile, I installed a Geisselle GS2 trigger and a Wilson Combat extended bolt stop. The new trigger is light years ahead of the Mil-Spec one that was in the rifle.

The difference between the factory trigger and the Geissele is amazing. I wish I had this trigger when I was competing with the M16.

Back