• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting in practice

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I've decided to use my Ruger .41mag to bag a deer this year, so getting in some badly needed practice the last few days. Target at 25yds shooting from my back porch. 11 of 12 rds all on the standard notebook paper (one barely on at the very top). Still not happy, but at a dollar a shot, I can't afford too much more practice. At least the sights seem to be properly adjusted, but I need to work on my consistency some. I've got about month before the season opens here.

target20yds.jpg

Were you making any sight adjustments? Your first shot was only the second closest to the bull. Were you shooting offhand from your porch?

Edit: Pardon my ignorance. I just realized you are shooting a revolver here, not a rifle. :oops:

I just saw something about deer and sighting in and didn't register the rest.

Kadelic said:
Were you making any sight adjustments? Your first shot was only the second closest to the bull. Were you shooting offhand from your porch?

Edit: Pardon my ignorance. I just realized you are shooting a revolver here, not a rifle. :oops:

I just saw something about deer and sighting in and didn't register the rest.

No problem. I wasn't real clear about it. Shooting cup and saucer hold from a chair on the porch. Elbows propped on chair back to steady. The scatter is me, not the gun. Better than the last session a couple weeks ago. Still have a tendency to anticipate recoil, which is the main problem, but I'll get past that. I've been doing a russian roulette load (5 empty brass, 1 hot) to help me with that.

Haven't done any sight adjustments yet. I'll wait until I get some consistently tighter groups. This is going to be some expensive venison. ;)

Why the cup and saucer style hold, Gunny? It's unconventional, to say the least.

The pistol hunters that I know do seem to get quite a buzz out of the sport! Good luck this season!!

mingaa said:
The pistol hunters that I know do seem to get quite a buzz out of the sport! Good luck this season!!
I think that's because of the challenge. Kinda like bow hunting. If I don't bag one with the Ruger, I'll have a few days to get one with my Mariner. Target rich environment here. :mrgreen: I've counted 4 nearby road kills in the last 10 days.

Ive taken a fair share of small game with handgun but yet to get a deer. Stlli working on that challenge

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

Back