• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting In Your Mossberg Tactical .22 715T

Checked my rear flat top rail and its higher in the middle than at both ends. Also the front rail is 1/16" wider than the rear rail. I ordered a metal 13 slot 1" riser online and it will arrive on the 3rd. I will check if that will solve the problem. Otherwise, I will try to wedge it as BowerR64 suggested.

As much as possible, I want to avoid sending it back to Mossberg for the exact same reasons as you guys already stated. Thus I will try every solution that I can do as long as it does not void the warranty. I'll update you if something works for me. Good luck to us :)

leadgunner said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
leadgunner said:
Does the gun come with an adjustment tool for the front sight? I double checked my box and theres nothing in there. If its an accessory that needs to be bought separately, can you recommend a place where I can buy one? Thanks!

Can you post a photo of your front sigh post, looking down on it from the top?

Its the rail mount front sight that came with the flat top. brought it to the range and its shooting 1" groups low to the left at 25 yards. I already have the rear sight maxed out high and to the right but im still 2" left and 1" low. below is the photo of the front sight post as you requested:
IMG_3906_zps915fac85.jpg

Here you go leadgunner,

This is the type of sight adjustment tool you're looking for...

Midwest Industries A2 sight tool

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
leadgunner said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Can you post a photo of your front sigh post, looking down on it from the top?

Its the rail mount front sight that came with the flat top. brought it to the range and its shooting 1" groups low to the left at 25 yards. I already have the rear sight maxed out high and to the right but im still 2" left and 1" low. below is the photo of the front sight post as you requested:
IMG_3906_zps915fac85.jpg

Here you go leadgunner,

This is the type of sight adjustment tool you're looking for...

Midwest Industries A2 sight tool

Thanks Again LES. You and the other guys here are as helpful as always. Im glad I found this forum :)

Re: Tactical .22 (715T): low and to the left

Checked my rear flat top rail and its higher in the middle than at both ends. Also the front rail is 1/16" wider than the rear rail. I ordered a metal 13 slot 1" riser online and it will arrive on the 3rd. I will check if that will solve the problem. Otherwise, I will try to wedge it inside the clam shell as BowerR64 suggested in another thread.

2k2wranglerx said:
so wait, what does the metal riser go to?

Since the rear flat top plastic rail is crooked, we were hoping the metal riser's straight edge will correct the problem. Besides, I need the riser anyways.

Okay folks, so I just disassembled and reassembled my 715T flat top. Yay me! Hmmm, maybe a should hold off on the self congratulations until after I fire it and return home with my face intact. :lol:

So, here is the left side of my clamshell with the 715T taken out. You will note the semi-straight ridge that runs under the picatinny teeth.

Here is what it looks like with the 715T inserted in. Recall the four "ribs" that BowerR64 referred to (see his picture above). As he pointed out, the dovetail mount for the 715T seats against these ribs. My photo below shows the 715T clearly deforming the picatinny rail even further. As leadgunner stated, it is higher in the middle than at the ends. This is why. :(
I don't think it needs shims. If anything, a rib or two need a bit of filing down. LOL, talk about voiding warranties.

I think what we have here, with the flat top model, is a design flaw. Underneath those teeth, we should have another 1/2" of plastic.

Patiently awaiting the arrival of my riser. This is what I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Medium-Profil ... =utg+riser

Attachments

• 715T-1.JPG
    715T-1.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 840
  • 715T-2.JPG
    715T-2.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 840
I too have a problem with the "iron sights" on my 715T with Carry Handle. They were all going down and to the left, but when I zeroed in my red dot that's on top of the carry handle it was showing slightly high and I didn't have to adjust for left & right. This was done at 50 yrds.

Springbok said:
Okay folks, so I just disassembled and reassembled my 715T flat top. Yay me! Hmmm, maybe a should hold off on the self congratulations until after I fire it and return home with my face intact. :lol:

So, here is the left side of my clamshell with the 715T taken out. You will note the semi-straight ridge that runs under the picatinny teeth.

Here is what it looks like with the 715T inserted in. Recall the four "ribs" that BowerR64 referred to (see his picture above). As he pointed out, the dovetail mount for the 715T seats against these ribs. My photo below shows the 715T clearly deforming the picatinny rail even further. As leadgunner stated, it is higher in the middle than at the ends. This is why. :(
I don't think it needs shims. If anything, a rib or two need a bit of filing down. LOL, talk about voiding warranties.

I think what we have here, with the flat top model, is a design flaw. Underneath those teeth, we should have another 1/2" of plastic.

Patiently awaiting the arrival of my riser. This is what I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Medium-Profil ... =utg+riser

I ordered a riser also, i ordered mine off e-bay though. Why did you get that one?

Also when you insert the receiver and its bowing the rail what is this doing for you or for your problem? Is this where you are mounting your scope?

I understand you dont want a warped rail but in the center where it is i dont have anything mounted there mine are just on the ends.

Also in your image, the back of the receiver appears to be out further then the front. It appears that the front is more in the middle of the dove tail then in the back. Does yours shoot "low and to the left"?

Bower R64 Wrote:
I ordered a riser also, i ordered mine off e-bay though. Why did you get that one?

I chose that one because:
1. the "clamps" run the full length of the riser. I felt this would run a bit more true.
2. it is the longest one I could find. I wanted to sort out the whole rail (not just part of it.
3. I thought the 0.83" saddle would match the exact height of my 45 degree double rail, which I already had.

If they sold a 1/2" riser that was long enough to run the full length of the front and rear risers, I would buy that.

Also when you insert the receiver and its bowing the rail what is this doing for you or for your problem? Is this where you are mounting your scope? I understand you dont want a warped rail but in the center where it is i dont have anything mounted there mine are just on the ends.

The bowing is causing the problem. To further complicate the problem, it is neither uniform along the length, nor left/right sides. I will mount my UTG 3-9x32 Bug Buster there (if it ever arrives). The previous scope would not mount well, because the two rings had different pitches and rolls (due to the very varied "landscape" of my rear rail.

Also in your image, the back of the receiver appears to be out further then the front. It appears that the front is more in the middle of the dove tail then in the back.

I think it just looks like that.

Does yours shoot "low and to the left"?

LOL, all the flat tops with this problem seem to shoot low and to the left.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow. My riser and cheap Chinese holographic retical have arrived. I'll update you guys, if I do.

Cheers,
Springbok

Re: 715T shoots WAY low and left

leadgunner said:
2k2wranglerx said:
Hi guys,

my 715T shoots WAY left and low. so much so that the scope and red dot I have won't even compensate for it. I have the factory iron sights (flat top model) almost max'd out on windage adjustment.

Any thoughts?

Im having the same problems as yours with my 715T Flat top. Hitting Left and Low even after I maxed out the windage and elevation of rear sights.

After I fixed my feeding issues with my 715 today I tackled the low left problem and rather then jack the rear sight up so high I filed the front sight down.

Mine is a wally world cheapo one that has the handle and plastic sights on it and the front will not adjust. Also taped the barrel up front to keep the front sight from moving back and forth on the barrel.

Still had to move the rear sight quite a bit right to correct the left problem but it shoots great now.

str8liner said:
leadgunner said:
2k2wranglerx said:
Hi guys,

my 715T shoots WAY left and low. so much so that the scope and red dot I have won't even compensate for it. I have the factory iron sights (flat top model) almost max'd out on windage adjustment.

Any thoughts?

Im having the same problems as yours with my 715T Flat top. Hitting Left and Low even after I maxed out the windage and elevation of rear sights.

After I fixed my feeding issues with my 715 today I tackled the low left problem and rather then jack the rear sight up so high I filed the front sight down.

Mine is a wally world cheapo one that has the handle and plastic sights on it and the front will not adjust. Also taped the barrel up front to keep the front sight from moving back and forth on the barrel.

Still had to move the rear sight quite a bit right to correct the left problem but it shoots great now.

Now that i own a flat top (not mossberg but its an M&P flat top) i prefer the handle version over the flat top it has an advantage to the flat top you should be lucky to have that one.

BowerR64 said:
str8liner said:
leadgunner said:

Now that i own a flat top (not mossberg but its an M&P flat top) i prefer the handle version over the flat top it has an advantage to the flat top you should be lucky to have that one.

I still think the flat top concept is the best for my purposes. The main reason for this purchase was my son. Mounting a scope on a handle version would be too much rise for him. Also, with the longer rear rail, there are more configuration options. When my scope arrives, I'll post a pic with the scope and holographic reticle mounted at a 45 degree angle right in front of it.

Yes, I love the concept. However, the Mossberg design is poor, because the rear rail is too thin and prone to deformity. Hence, it shoots low and to the left.

Great concept, poor execution. Just my $0.02.

Oh wait, we got rid of pennies in Canada. Its my $0.05 :D

I called Mossberg today about my 715T flat top that is in for warranty repair because it shoots low and left. It has been there since the end of January 2013. They tell me mine and two others are waiting on new barrels to arrive from Brazil. Expected delivery date to them is 6 May 2013. After they get them they will work on the rifles and sight them in. Personally I question whether it is the barrel or not (I suspect the plastic body/rail setup myself) but as long as they fix the issue I'll be happy.

Sorry to get back late on you guys. I have been busy at work and wasnt able to go to the range until yesterday.

I got my riser and my scope is now zeroed. Ive been punching paper in 2" groups at 50 yards. Had to do away with the iron sights though. The iron sights wont zero no matter what i do. Still low and left.

Hope this helps.

Hi, my first post about the sighting issue applicable to carry handle 715T's. (You can call me John, but I AM always "searching for Truth" just like everybody else here.

When I received my 715T, I found the rear sight was WAY over to the right, almost to the end of adjustment. I thought "they never sighted it from the factory", no big deal. (Yeah, it shoots to the left for real)
Then, after cleaning and oiling, I loaded it up with Yellow Jackets (the only thing I shot out of my S&W 6" revolver.
(Even though I am 65,I have never owned anything but my dad's old S&W, so everything is/was new to me. Fortunately, my auto mechanic analytical and diagnosis skills helped with 25rd mag load and feed problem. I checked in HERE while waiting for my rifle to arrive, so I was up on what to expect from initial performance before I actually had the rifle. THANKS! THAT goes to everyone @ MossbergOwners. com!) The Yellow Jackets didn't want to load SLOWLY, but after removing a couple of jams, I let the action do all the work by just pulling it back and letting it go. (made me a little nervous with rim fire, as I suppose the slide is hitting the rim of the cartridge to load it) It finally loaded the first bullet and fired 10-15 rds before jamming. I switched Rem Sub Sonics ( not plated, lead nose HP) they ran pretty good, with an occasional FTL, FTE (suspect may have been the mag spring chafing on at least one occasion).
With a good supply of Sub Sonics I attempted to sight in the rifle: ZERO @ 25 yds. (backyard firing range) ;)

After finding the stock rear/front sight was not able to ZERO @ 25yds. (would have needed to be around .5 " higher rear sight), I called MOSSBERG:

MOSSBERG asked when I purchased my 715T, I told them around late February-mid-March 2013.
They IMMEDIATELY SAID, "Send it back. There is a problem with the BARREL."

I haven't sent it back yet. I want to check a little further.

My front sight is around 2.7 " from inside diameter of barrel to top of center post of front sight (near as I can tell). What is the height of the flat top front sight, anyone??? I'd really like to know!!!

I think the front sight is too high (duh :D ). I need to see if the shot arcs off to the right or left after zeroing with a new open reflex sight @ 25yds. and see if it holds its line at 50 without going wide (or wild). I would expect a slightly high hit @ 50yds due to trajectory charts. Please let me know what else I might check out.

I am not crazy to send it back having not had it and time to shoot for very long AND I need a longer range (50 yds.) to see what happens to the trajectory when ZEROED @ 25yds. If it shoots (follows trajectory) I might just keep it and just use the open red/green dot and laser until they know what the real problem is and offer an updated shell (sights).
By the way, I used a laser bore sight that got me close with the red/green dot open reflex holo sight and laser (mounted sight). At 25yds. they cross at zero. I have a feeling the laser (under barrel) is going to more accurate with less variation simply because it is only am inch and a half offset from the barrel.
Let me know where I might be on the wrong track, please. I am using my brain, but this is new to me.
AGAIN, thanks for all the great info and support you have shown that has helped everyone.
This is my contribution (for what it's worth ;)

Searchin4Truth said:
Let me know where I might be on the wrong track, please. I am using my brain, but this is new to me.

You've actually answered your own question with the best answer.

Searchin4Truth said:
MOSSBERG asked when I purchased my 715T, I told them around late February-mid-March 2013.
They IMMEDIATELY SAID, "Send it back. There is a problem with the BARREL."

Safest thing to do is follow the manufacturers recommendation.

Back