1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Sightmark Mini Shot Holographic Reflex Sight Review

Discussion in 'Product Review' started by LAZY EYED SNIPER, Nov 13, 2011.

1. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Just installed a receiver rail and a Sightmark Mini Shot holographic reflex sight on the 590. Picked it up for $80 w/free shipping at opticsplanet.com.

[​IMG]

The Sightmark series of reflex sights are designed to create a lightweight, yet accurate, sight. Sightmark reflex sights are able to handle heavy recoil, will stay zeroed in longer than competitor’s reflex sights and are perfect for shotguns, pistols and rifles. The Mini Shot™ is the most compact in the Sightmark line; it is lightweight and extremely accurate for its miniature size. This reflex sight features a 3 MOA illuminated dot reticle and is useful for most any application from close quarter combat situations to hunting. The Mini-Shot’s compact size makes it perfect for use with handguns and shotguns; which can then be utilized for home defense, target shooting, or turkey hunting. To create the ultimate weapon, mount the Mini Shot alongside a riflescope in order to quickly acquire targets at close distances while utilizing the riflescope to engage targets at long range.

Features
    Precision Accuracy
    Reliable and Durable
    Wide Field of View
    Quick Target Aquisition
    Perfect for Rapid Fire or Moving Target Shooting
    Single Reticle*
    Parallax Corrected
    Unlimited Eye Relief
    Weaver Mount
    Lightweight
    Water Resistant
    Shockproof
    Low Power Consumption
    3 MOA Dot

Specifications

Magnification: 1x
    Objective: 23mm x 16mm
    Field of View: 15.7m @100m
    Eye Relief: Infinite
    Coating: AR Red
    Water Resistant: Yes
    Reticle: single (3 MOA dot)
    MOA Adjustment: 1 (one click)
    Battery: 1 (One) CR2032 3V Lithium
    Battery Life: 2 Hours
    Brightness Settings: N/A
    Max Recoil: Up to .50 caliber
    Construction: Aircraft-grade Aluminum
    Operating Temperature: -10°C to 50°C
    Dimensions (in): 8.13x1.0x1.4
    Weight (oz): 2.4

Included in Package
    Rubber Lens Cap
    Adjustment Tools
    Battery
    Limited Lifetime Warranty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Initial impressions:

This thing is tiny! It seems very well built despite its size and the 3 MOA dot is VERY crisp. The two brightness settings make for quick adjustment depending on your lighting conditions. It has a light censor that when you put the hood on, switches the optic into sleep mode.

http://www.sightmark.com/products/refle ... ht-sm13001

Gonna take it out in the morning to get it zeroed. I'll post pics and a full review tomorrow...
  2. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

Re: Sightmark Mini Shot Reflex Sight Review

Lookin forward to it man!
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yea SNIPER ...interested in how it performs...let us know bro !!
  4. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Here are some pics of the Mini Shot mounted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. LAZY EYED SNIPER

The 3 MOA dot is VERY clean and crisp...

[​IMG]
  6. LAZY EYED SNIPER

As for performance, this thing is a little beast!

What it lacks in size it more than makes up in results on target. Windage and elevation adjustments are made with a small screwdriver. Took me about five shots to get her dialed in and I was punching holes where I wanted em in no time. Here's one of my 50 yard targets using Centurion 2.75 inch, 1 1/8 oz slugs. Ten rounds went into this one...

[​IMG]

Put 50 rounds down range today with no movement or vibration in the optic or mount. I highly recommend the Sightmark Mini Shot to anyone looking for a great, affordable reflex red dot.
  7. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

I don’t think you will be taking it off anytime soon,I have been using a micro reflex 5 moa green dot for over a year and many many rounds and like it better than ghost rings. It is faster than ghost rings for me and as fast as a bead but I like putting the floating green dot on the target better than the sight picture a bead provides me personally. All these little micros seem to be the same housing with slight variations. So yours should fit all the Burris Fastfire 2 bases like the rest of these micro’s....and the centurions always treated me right, just stay on top of the leading, they leave lead bad
  8. megawatt

megawatt .270 WIN

The specs say battery life of two hours. I find that hard to believe????

I have had a Jpoint reflex sight for the last 10 years. The Jpoint does not have a power switch and stays on ALL THE TIME. It does dim the laser when the hood is on but it never turns off. I am on my second CR2032 battery and I do believe my first battery lasted 6 years of continuous running. I paid $80 for it ten years ago and I see the same unit is now $255ish, much like the leopold, burris and many other reflex lights that look like the same unit.

My reflex light has been the best $80 I ever spent for an optic and I have never had a problem. It stays on my slabside 22/45 so I hope yours last as long and the price is definately right. Can you confirm that yours is still on after two hours please? Might sound strange but can you take it into a totally dark location and remove the lense cover to see if the laser stays on like mine does? There must be a misprint on the battery life of only two hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Mine has an off switch with two brightness settings and the laser does turn completely off...
  10. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

Dude! Nice little sight! I'm kinda questioning that big Bushnell I have on mine now... The reflex sights offer a better field of vision by far and the micros are a much lower profile too.

I hate not having a good cheek weld, especially with full power slugs.

Thanks for the write up!
  11. megawatt

megawatt .270 WIN

THX
  12. LAZY EYED SNIPER

13. LAZY EYED SNIPER

No problem,

I love this little thing. It's great for quick target acquisition and allows for both eyes open shooting. I'm very pleased with it so far...
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Great review SNIPER...looks like a keeper !!
  15. LAZY EYED SNIPER

16. SoCal Choppas

SoCal Choppas .270 WIN

Thanks for the review, I've been eye balling one of these for a while...Don't want to spend the major coin for a C-More for my 22/45 and need a better field of view then my current Sig Red Dot.

Keep us informed after some long term shooting.
  17. LAZY EYED SNIPER

18. devious1

devious1 .410

i know its been a few years, but how is this sight holding up?
  19. LAZY EYED SNIPER

It's still runnin like a champ!

Had it on the 930 for a while, but it's back on the 590 now. No idea how many hundreds of rounds I've sent down range with this thing mounted, but it's gotta be approaching 700-800 or so. Still works as well as it did brand new...
  20. devious1

devious1 .410

thanks for the reply, LES. i think i'll try to get a hold of one of these until the primary arms rds comes into stock. :twisted: