• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sililarities/Differences from Standard 500

Aside from the stock and forend, are there any other differences from a standard 500?

I am specifically interested in the receiver and magazine tubes so I can decide if a Bantam might be able to use my standard stock and barrel if desired.

Aside from the stock and forend the only differences may be barrel length. I think some of the Bantam models come with shorter (22" if memory serves) barrels. To my knowledge they are both based on the same model 500 receiver.

All 500's of the same gauge can share hardware (stock and forend).
All 500's of the same gauge and magazine capacity can share barrels and hardware.
Some 500's of different gauges can share hardware.

On the larger capacity 500's the barrel lug is positioned furthur down the barrel and the magazine tube is extended. The barrels for these cannot be used on other model 500's (of the same gauge) unless you also swap the magazine tubes (including springs and followers).

The 12 and 20 gauges can most usually share stocks but the 20g receiver is slightly narrower than the 12 gauge model so depending on which way you go there will be some overhang, not much but noticable. ( I would contact the mfg of the stock to confirm if there is a specific stock you are looking at)

The 20 gauge also has a smaller diameter magazine tube so you will not be able in interchange forends between these gauges unless you are able to fabricate a shim of some sort.

Many of the newer models have pinned forends which prevent the changing of forends without also buying an older model slide tube assembley. Not hard to do just a little extra cost.

I think I've covered about everything......

Glad I could help.

I have changed barrels on a Super Bantam, and a regular 500 barrels does fine...in fact, the barrel mine came with (24" rifled/ported) is a 500 option barrel.

Back