• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

slugs

GR00VY

I finally got around to shooting some slugs out of my 590a1. It was consistently high. at 25 yards i had to lollipop the 8 inch target and then it would barley be inside the top portion of the 8 inch target. I had the gun benched. I was shooting crappy federal slugs. Any suggestions on why it was hitting high? Could it just be bad slugs? Left to right it was on.

Each smooth bore barrel will act differently from gun to gun. My 590 consistently hits high left at 50 yards, key word being consistent! And yes, slug choice makes a big difference... I would grab a few packs of some different slugs and see how each patterns... Federal Truball work the best for me (besides the Black Magic slugs @ $3 a pop!)

Let us know how it turns out!

I will definitely try a variety of different slugs and see what I get. They were shooting straight (no key holing). I am shooting a bead sight and I really get down on the bead sight so it is not sitting high.

Yeah I wouldn't think you should see keyholing. I just use a bead myself... and you've gotta remember that you won't see 2moa with a smoothbore scattergun. I can usually keep 5 slugs within about 6-8" at 50 yards... And as far as I know, that's about the accuracy to expect, if you're looking for better out of a shotgun, you'll need to look at rifled barrels and sabot slugs.

GR00VY said:
I will definitely try a variety of different slugs and see what I get. They were shooting straight (no key holing). I am shooting a bead sight and I really get down on the bead sight so it is not sitting high.

Aerodynamics of different slugs plays a big part in this. The least little malformation on the slug will cause it to go off course. You're basically shooting a shuttlecock (as in badminton), since there is no spin imparted to stabilize the projectile, so any imperfection in manufacture, or induced during travel down the barrel, will have an effect on the exterior ballistics.

shuttlecock2.jpg

I went out and picked up 3 different types of slugs. I am not expecting it to perform like an AR I just want to see what slugs will shoot closer to point of aim. All the federal were dead center but about 6 inches (give or take) or so high of where I was aiming. I will go out again sometimes this week and try them out.

It was recently pointed out to me that the bead on a 18.5" barrel is set for 100 yards. I have not had a chance to verify this info but it would explain a lot. My 930 shoots very high with slugs/buck at close range.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

MikeD said:
It was recently pointed out to me that the bead on a 18.5" barrel is set for 100 yards.
for what slug ?, certainly cant be all because slugs very so much

oli700 said:
MikeD said:
It was recently pointed out to me that the bead on a 18.5" barrel is set for 100 yards.

Good point. Just within the Brenneke 12 gage products they state optimum sight in ranges anywhere from 50 to over 100yds.

If that is the case that would explain why it is shooting high. I will report back later this week after I shoot a couple more and see what happens.

Groovy - They don't call shotguns rock tossers for nothing.

The trajectory of a slug is that of throwing a rock aka a very large arch.

If you want to hit bullseye at 25 or 50 yards with a bead sight with a slug... aim low. How low depends on your rock tosser.

In my 590 with an 18.5" barrel I'm aiming around 6 inches low. I've also noticed that you will get a lot of lead fouling in your barrel which will distort accuracy if you shoot a lot of slugs.

Getting that lead out is difficult. I ended up getting a wooden dowel and choreboy copper scrub pads and a liberal amount of Hoppes # 9 solution. Hammered the choreboy pads through the barrel a few times using the wooden dowel. Got 90% of that lead out.

oli700 said:
MikeD said:
Can't say. Probably just a generalization based on average slug weight and velocity. What I posted is all I know atm. Ill try to do some more research, been a little busy lately with some family issues.

My gf had surgury so trying to care for her, her mom and continue to work and keep up my other responsibilities and deal with way to much of her families holiday drama plus my own family holiday drama. Just being run a bit ragged right now.

Sorry to hear about your GF. Hope she has a fast recovery.......and you hang in there.

Well I went back to the range last week and shot remington and Winchester slugs in addition to the Federal i was using. Rem and Win shot great. I was hitting where I was aiming. Through the federals in again and shot off a box all were high. Went back to Rem and Win and shots were back on target. So i guess no Federal slugs for me.

35 yards no support/rest.

Back