• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Smurf's wishlist

pappasmurf

.270 WIN
Okay guys, so I been thinking and here what I want (or so I think)....
- A black synthetic stock and forend (hopefully one that has the 2 mini-rails on the sides and full length on the bottom)
- an afg (hopefully black)
- a top rail (that goes on the receiver)
- a reflex sight (as my rear sight is broken and can't find a replacement)
- a side saddle that holds six

If there is anything you would change, please let me know and also why would you change it and to what you would change for it. I want some opinions on these things and to find out what's the best yet least expensive.
Thank you all for the help.

- A black synthetic stock

The factory stocks are a bit long and I like the fit of the Hogue 12" LOP stock...

Hogue Mossberg 500 OverMolded Shotgun Stock - 12" L.O.P.

and forend (hopefully one that has the 2 mini-rails on the sides and full length on the bottom)

For the forend you're describing, check out the Mako tri-rail...

Mako Mossberg 500/590 Handguard

- an afg (hopefully black)

The original AFG is getting harder to find in stock lately. Midway USA still has them available at the moment...

MagPul AFG

- a top rail (that goes on the receiver)

Don't know if it's the "best", but I use the Mossberg factory receiver rail...

Picatinny Rail Matte Blue

- a reflex sight (as my rear sight is broken and can't find a replacement)

Here's a review I wrote a while back on my mini reflex sight...

Sightmark Mini Shot Holographic Reflex Sight Review

- a side saddle that holds six

Well my ESSTAC shotgun cards don't hold six, but they hold seven...

Esstac Shotgun Card

$15 for each card and $5 worth of industrail strength velcro fixed to your receiver and you've got an instantly reloadable side-saddle. Extra ammo cards can be carried in a pack, on a belt, or on a vest...

Lazy,
I don't even know what length of pull means. But I've shot the fullsize stock on a newer 500 and it felt alright. I do like the looks of the ATI 6 pos pistol grip stock but haven't shot it. Was thinking more of keeping a regular stock for placement of the thumb closer to safety.

The mako forend is exactly what I was looking for. Could even do with a regular synthetic stock with a full length rail ONLY on the bottom.

Guess I'll have to wait on the AFG

Mine didn't come with a factory rail

And NOW I want a esstac shotgun card or 4. Lol
Thanks for feeding my addiction.

pappasmurf said:
I don't even know what length of pull means.

Length of pull or LOP is the distance from the trigger to the end of the stock.
It is a very important measurement that has to do with proper fit of a shotgun for accurate shooting when it comes to the clay sports.

Good info LES and LTB!

If the factory stock works, id rock it and save $$$ towards somethin else. I love the Hogue short LOP personally, it allows for the gun to be pulled in close, even with heavier clothes, like when attempting to hunt! :lol:

Ill agree all day long on a traditional stock for a good cheek weld and manipulating the safety on a Mossberg. Though I have recently discovered the ATI adjustable with a cheek riser works pretty darned well with a cross bolt safety and would do well with rail mounted optics too.

LTB,
Thanks for that bit of info. So for someone like me, LOP would mean actually nothing. Lol. I don't hunt 4 legs and just shoot it at the range and like to have it for home defense. Ami right in assuming this? Or do you still think that the ATI 6 pos tactical like dans would work for me?

Rossi,
Thank you for your comment also. I am really thinking about the 6 pos tactical from ati but was also thinking about a full stock with pistol grip, but just don't like the look of it. It looks as if it would be uncomfortable because of the angle the buttplate would be on my shoulder. I like my weapons to be straight out there while mounted on my shoulder. I also looked at LES's review of the sightmark and would love to have one of those but can't justify spending 80 bucks on something to be used ONLY when I get to the range.

Somebody help me please!!!!! Lol, I'm very picky, but I've got the mod bug!

If you're lookin at rails and optics, the price and quality of the sightmark will be hard to beat. Otherwise skip the rail altogether and maybe upgrade the bead to a night sight since the gun will pull duty as your HD firearm too. Anight sight like the Meprolight or Marbles are reasonably priced, generally around $30, and will allow you to pick up the front bead for target aquisition even in total darkness. Many of us here have the Meprolight bead (its a 5/40 thread).

Somewhere on here are at least a couple reviews on the Meprolight. I know there is one under the Optics section, "Iron Sights" I believe, and WaterMonkey wrote something up under a thread called "Low light and no light conditions" though admittedly that isn't the exact title of the thread. Though I will try and find those and link them here.

I have fired more rounds thani can count through my guns withthe Meprolight from shot to low recoil buck and szlugs to full power of the same.

I personally haven't tried a pistol grip stock with a Mossberg only because of the mechanics, though many here have. I believe the recomendations are generally positive with exception only with the Knoxx Spec Ops GenII. Quite a few complaints on that one. Most recoil pads will be straight up and down or just a little of an angle. Both the Hogue and ATI with Scorpion recoil pad feel great to me and I like shooting standing square to my target with the stock seated in the pocket formed between my shoulder and my chest and the gun perpendicular to my shoulders if that makes sense.

I hope that helps some, let me know if I can elaborate. I gotta get goin here for a bit but willcome back and try and find those links!

Ross,
Yes that did help, but I wanna know more about the night sites. I don't have a beaded front sight. I have rifle sights on mine but borth the front AND rear seem to be cold soldered on. Any help on getting the rear off? I'm really just concerned with the rear as it is broke and the front just ain't gonna budge without a gunsmith (cause I know nothing about taking iron sites off).

I do plan on going with a rail cause I'm digging the sightmark relex sight. Its a little smaller but the same concept as on my service weapon

Pappasmurf,
I have spent the better part of my life punching holes in paper with rifles and pistols and revolvers.
I started shooting shotguns about 4 years ago, wish that I had started earlier.
All of my shotguns are for shooting at things that fly, either feathered or Bright Orange.
Hitting something that is flying through the air is the greatest thrill I have ever had shooting.
Actually it has been my addiction since I first tried it.
If I want to shoot paper targets, I have lots of rifles, pistols and revolvers that do the job fine.

I have plenty of friends that bought shotguns for HD. Then I take them out on the trap or skeet field and show them what shotguns are best suited for.
You should give it a try sometime.

I would recommend that while building your shotgun, consider that it can actually be a multi-purpose gun and besides being a decent HD weapon and a paper puncher, it is at its best when hitting flying targets.
IMHO

Ltb,
While I do agree that moving targets are a LOT more fun, i was always taught don't kill what I didn't intend to eat until I was in the military. Then it was kill anything that moves!
I have not tried skeet or trap shooting but I haven't had my shotgun long enough to know anything about it. Lol

pappasmurf said:
Ross,
Yes that did help, but I wanna know more about the night sites. I don't have a beaded front sight. I have rifle sights on mine but borth the front AND rear seem to be cold soldered on. Any help on getting the rear off? I'm really just concerned with the rear as it is broke and the front just ain't gonna budge without a gunsmith (cause I know nothing about taking iron sites off).

I do plan on going with a rail cause I'm digging the sightmark relex sight. Its a little smaller but the same concept as on my service weapon

What type of rear sight do you have? Can you post a photo?

No sir, as I see that being the most expensive and I'm sure the warranty is outta question seeing mine was made very early lol

You never know.

Could end up being relatively inexpensive. Mossberg has sent me replacement parts for free on a couple occasions too. Wouldn't hurt to call and find out for sure...

I agree with LES, id at least ask.

What part of that sight is broke? The stuff I mentioned about thhe Meprolight front bead, well, it won't work withe rifle sights. Good news is there are a bunch of aftermarket options for the rifle sights, again depending on what is broke exactly.

Not tryin to overwhelm you or push you in any direction, just offer alternatives.

There are night sights available for the rifle sights as well as fiber optics.

Rossi,
I'm gonna at least ask and see what they say.
It one of the ears or the right side of the sight after the notch is broke off.
I would LOVE to put on some fiber optic or night sights on it, but wouldn't that require some gunsmithing to get the sights off? Thanks for the info though, I'm gonna look at the options

Back