• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Solar/hand crank radio

carbinemike said:
I have been looking at radios with hand crank as an option for power. Does anyone have any experience with these? The link has one that seems positive with both peimar solar and hand crank options for power. Thoughts?
Have you got the radio you have been searching for? It seems really exciting to me so please provide some more information.

Welcome aboard and I hope you take a moment to post at the New Member Welcome Area.

I forgot about posting a follow up. Thanks for asking. I did end up getting the Kaito Voyager. The cheapest place I found was ebay. It was listed over $60 but I kept getting ads that it was around $47. Overall I like the radio and am glad that I got it. Looking at it, it does look to be on the cheap side based on the housing. It does pull in the local am/fm stations with stronger signals. No problem getting the NOAA weather either. On shortwave I was able to get stations out of Texas and England with the antenna extension (about 15 feet long) purchased separately for another $10. I think I had a station from the island south of Florida or South American but I couldn't understand the language. Tuning takes some time an patience as it reminds me of tuning my transistor am radio I had as a kid. Digital radios have me spoiled. The hand crank for the power supply worked quickly and as advertised. I haven't messed around with the solar charging yet. The emergency light isn't to great but in a pinch it would be better than nothing. I viewed it as a throw in on the deal.

John A. said:
Short term there are some options for USB charging of some devices. Especially hooked to laptops, etc.

Many (newer) DC/AC inverters also have a USB out that you can use. My little Cobra 800W inverter does and I have also seen a few inexpensive
solar panels for car battery trickle chargers that also have a dedicated usb out.

But long term, USB probably won't make the cut if you don't have a way to keep the batteries charged that provide power to the USB's to begin with
Thanks for sharing short term solutions.. I am still searching for long term charging solution but still your ones will be very helpful to me.

Back