• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

son and I, shaking down the new 500

slav1north

Copper BB
Went to the trap range today. My 17 year old and I shot a round each.(wish we had more time for more ) after reading some negative reviews of some issues with parts becoming loose etc. Im glad I made up my mind to purchase. No loose stock,safety, pins ,nothing.the gun ran great and we are very happy with it so far. Now I do have a questionabout the duel bead and pin sight set up.on the 28" vent rib barrel. Are you supposed to line them.up or put the the.brass pin at the 6:00 under the bead? Also is the modified choke. That came with the barrel the best choice. For trap? Thanks. For.a.great.forum! !!

I always lined them up and it worked for me haha I could be doing it wrong and still hitting but you have something like 800 teenie tiny projectiles flying through the air too :p

the twin bead sights are used for adjusting your proper LOP. you should be able to pull up and be on sight. (the 2 beads aligned). i have another earlier post on it,but can't seem to find it. :)

Sorry to disagree with anyone out here, BUT for shooting Trap with a 500, the beads should make a figure 8. The target bead (center brass) should be the bottom part of the 8 while the white bead makes the top of the 8.
Actually on any shotgun that has a target bead, this is the standard way to align for shooting at flying targets.

^^^^ that too,,,,,thank you LTB45.
c&p

If the gun fits you - they should be stacked in a figure 8 - if not, take it to the pattern board first ( and see if its hitting high or low ) and then put a pad on the comb to adjust it so the beads are a figure 8 - and the point of impact should be where you are looking.

Having the gun hit - where you look - is the point of a good fit. ( and length of pull, etc )...

Well that is some new news to me! I have always been successful with my 500 by lining them up lol
I will have to give that a try and see if it helps me out any! I don't shoot competition but anything to help me get a better edge at the game is good to me!

Itsricmo, I am a competitive Trap shooter. Actually won my class at the Connecticut State shoot last year.
The center (Target) bead is smaller than the front bead so that they can easily be aligned in the figure 8 configuration.
Also I should point out that none of my 500's are for competition, unless you count hunting Pheasant, shooting Skeet and Sporting clays for fun as competition....some days it is ;)

LTB45 said:
Itsricmo, I am a competitive Trap shooter. Actually won my class at the Connecticut State shoot last year.
The center (Target) bead is smaller than the front bead so that they can easily be aligned in the figure 8 configuration.
Also I should point out that none of my 500's are for competition, unless you count hunting Pheasant, shooting Skeet and Sporting clays for fun as competition....some days it is ;)

LTB45 i believe the 2 beads carry a duel purpose. one for like you mentioned the figure 8 for sighting. also what i was trying to explain,using them for proper fit of the gun. i found 2 videos and they kind of explain it better than i can. again hope it makes sense. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLnGM3DXE0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vteCAoPwn-s

Thanks LTB, I would seriously have never known lol I thought they were just like iron rifle sights and needed to be lined up. I will have to try this method out if I get the range and see how it works out for me

old mossy both of the videos are fantastic to explain proper gun fit.
I should also mention that only Gil briefly mentions the beads and he does not say enough about alignment.
If you believe that a gun with 2 beads carries some type of dual purpose for the beads, then that is cool.
My only question would be, what do you about a shotgun with only one bead?
I have plenty of them in the safe.
I will stick with what I was taught from actual competitive shotgun shooters and teachers of the sport.
I have also taught more newbies how to break clays then I can count. The method that I teach is the stacked bead method or figure 8, since it works. Heck it has gotten me and my wife some nice trophies and on good days big enough cash payouts to cover both our shooting fees as well as ammo and a nice dinner afterward.

LTB45 said:
old mossy both of the videos are fantastic to explain proper gun fit.
I should also mention that only Gil briefly mentions the beads and he does not say enough about alignment.
If you believe that a gun with 2 beads carries some type of dual purpose for the beads, then that is cool.
My only question would be, what do you about a shotgun with only one bead?

in the '60's when the dual bead started to show up,it was introduced for as you say sighting the figure 8.
then someone discovered it was a great tool for fitting a gun to the shooter. also discovered it's a great tool for consistent mounting.
as far as a shotgun with one bead you would need to use other methods to fit the shotgun.
here's another vid i found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXo0WUiCx34
also LBT45, i congratulate you and your wife on your competition skills.
,,,,,and your fight for our gun rights. :)

Wow, thanks for all the great info and vids. The 500 seems to fit me well . This was just luck because I didn't know what shotgun fitment was. I did end up with a bruised bicep, but I blame that on my Thick shirt and winter coat = bad mount. ( didn't want to let That bird go.) Can't wait to get out and try to apply all these new techniques.

Back