• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Soon to reload-need guidence on .223 bolt/MVP 24"

I have a few question for those that have and do reload .223 rounds. My rifle like the 53-55gr Hornady factory rounds. When I start I will try various bullet brands/powders/primers-like most all you have already done. If everything else being equal on accuracy-why would you choose the heavier (69-75gr.) bullets-other than bucking the wind?. I will be shooting small game out to 150 yds, paper to 300yrds. Thanks for your help/replies.

Shooter54~

There are a lot of complexities within yourquestion.

First, I would find out what barrel twist rate your 24" MVP has.

If it's 1:12 then the lighter bullets <50-gr will normally shoot better.

If it's 1:9" then you should be able to shoot up to almost any bullet weight between 50-gr to 68-gr bullets.

If you are a 1:8" then 55-gr~-77 gr should do fine and a 1:7 twist barrel will not fly lighter bullets well at all but will be wonderful with 68-85 grain bullets.

If you want to shoot to 300-yards and you have a 1:9" twist I would try really hard to find a 55-gr~62-gr bullet that loves your powder and primer and call it good.

The 68/69-gr bullets start to buck the wind best beyond 250 yards but they really don't show that much difference inside 250.

Thanks for you reply. Mine barrel is a 1:9 twist. I know I (theoretically) can shoot up to 75 gr. However I am hoping mine will like reloads using some quality 55gr. bullets. I know it all depends and every gun has it's preference. I used to reload a long-long time ago. Wanting to get back in-so hence the questions.

Well, then, if you have a 1:9" twist I'll go back to what I said previously:

If you want to shoot to 300-yards and you have a 1:9" twist I would try really hard to find a 55-gr~62-gr bullet that loves your powder and primer and call it good.

If you have no bullets to start with, and you want a sample pack to try, I will raid my stash and send you some different bullets to at least try out.

Back