• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spare the Rod

Chris Hauselman

Copper BB
Hey new owner here. I purchased my 88 at a pawn shop. Once I had time to try it out with snap caps several days later, I couldn't get the shells in the mag tube. Took off the barrel, couldn't get the dowel out, which is what I thought the problem was. Looked in the small end hole, it looked like clay. I picked out pieces of grey plastic bag. Using a strap wrench I removed the tube to find *What the! It was a large threaded rod wrapped in a plastic bag. NO SPRING! I guess the pawner placed it in there so they could get more $$ for a "working" shotgun. Pawn shops apparently do not look that closely at weapons. Taught me a lesson, check out the magazine before you buy. No prob. I just ordered a spring and dowel from the Mossberg store = $13.95.

The dowel is unnecessary unless you plan on duck hunting or have other regulations limiting the magazine capacity.

The dowel is always the first thing to go when I get a new gun.

Welcome to the Forum Chris!!

Wow, that's the first I've heard about that. Fortunately springs are cheap.

I agree with John, I usually put aside the magazine limiters of all my guns unless I need them.

On occasion I have hunted migratory birds where a 3 round limit is enforced.

That made me laugh. Hard to believe he would actually save much doing that and run the risk of someone checking. Well, enjoy the 88. And yeah sometimes the best way to get parts is to order from Mossberg. Joseph

Back