• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sporterized Mosin Scout

Got some lathe time at the shop today. Trimmed the barrel a couple inches, and put a nice 11° crown on it, then rounded the outside edge a touch. Now just waiting for my die, and die handle so I can thread.
551e003358c75ee693973e14d63c5163.jpg
06e17fed833de4416b8a3cc51f559edf.jpg
a95c330754b0670790d62a286ad59402.jpg
039c9a8db04ca53742a88b35e5c4a9cc.jpg

Had a little snafu with barrel threading today. When I had the barrel in the lathe, I checked run out, to be sure it was spinning straight. I made a light cut just to true up my area to be threaded. I don't think I was running concentric to bore though, as my threads turned out very shallow on one side. I used a thread alignment tool, so I believe my threads run concentric to bore. So, apparently when the shoulder was machined down for the original sight base, their lathe wasn't running true to bore axis. I've read that this was not uncommon.

My AK barrel threads are the same way. The threads were nowhere NEAR concentric to the bore.

I don't shoot a can on it, but hasn't been an issue with flash hiders.

Yes, this one will never see a can. And I'll run a guide rod through after i put on the flash hider, just to ensure it's not too far off. Did you have any issues keeping your flash hider tight? Since my threads are so shallow on one side, I fear it will continually want to come loose. I'm sure some red thread locker, or possibly JB Weld, would hold if it becomes a problem though.

I also got the pillars bedded into the stock today. They're setting up now. I'll give it a couple days, and see how separating the action and trigger housing come apart. I used lots of release agent, so there shouldn't be any issues. My Rock Solid bolt handle, and scope mount are also here. So those are on the project list too.

No, the flashider stays tight once installed. Granted, I put a flat screwdriver through the port and gave it a little extra tug.

I'll see if I can get a decent photo of it. I'd been embarrassed to have let it out the factory door. It's honestly pretty bad. Even for the Romanians.

See that it is "thin" at 11 0'clock

rommy 002.JPG

Not much to see, but got pillars bedded in, and some inletting done. I plan to bed the rear tang, and recoil lug areas also. The Devcon was a little thick for the pillar bedding process, and I had voids I'm going to try and fill with a lower viscosity epoxy.

da14b329047fb859fb00d84909cea43d.jpg
05de1c1313ff18681c4a578854eac21c.jpg

The only aftermarket parts I intend to add, are a Rock Solid industries scope mount, and bent bolt handle. I'm going to try an improve the trigger myself. I'll probably add a slip on comb riser, and recoil pad.

I have an M44 and a 91/30- I started making the 91/30 a sporter ish rifle with a scope and mount that you use in place of the rear site, and I made my own bent bolt by cutting the handle off the bolt, ground it flat, threaded it for a 5/16' bolt, literally bent the 5/16" bolt, threaded it in, and drilled a hole in the original nub, welded it onto the bolt. Not 100% factory looking, but good enough for me... Then I decided to put the gun back to stock and took the scope and mount off lol

I also got one of the useless 1" rubber buttpads off ebay, it did nothing and looked stupid, so thats back off, and I got a Howling Raven muzzle brake, and it worked ok but made the gun a lot heavier, so thats off too..

Got the bent bolt welded on, and receiver drilled and tapped for the Rock Solid scope mount. I forgot to get a pic of the mount. Rock Solid recommends bedding the mount to the receiver. Which I will do after I get the barrel back on the receiver, and bedded into the stock. Not the best picture, but I welded the bolt with our Mig at work. Running .035 solid wire for mild steel. It's what we do most of our repair and fabrication with. So not as pretty as a high polish TIG weld, but serviceable.
8dda3df81c6af249401993e13c661d59.jpg

How's it come along I'm dying to find a nice M44 all the ones I'm finding want way to much (400 to 500) for a beat up gun I passed on a really nice Russian for 500 two years ago, I regret that.

Couple quick update pics, was able to get the inlet cut into the stock for the bolt handle. Did some polishing work on the trigger sear, and did an initial assembly. Here's how it looks with the bent bolt, and Rock Solid mount.
aa4dbe489807b40102a13ac50e5dfdd8.jpg
1f78e71a02eada5af376e45cc23f7d1b.jpg

Back