• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spray Foam/Plastic Stock

Tanker

.270 WIN
Hello
Has anyone used the low expansion spray foam (type used around windows/doors) in the hollow plastic Mossberg 500 stocks?
I was thinking that it would be a good application to deaden noise, make the stock more ridgid and maybe balance the recoil. Any opinion or thoughts appreciated? Ron

,,,,,if you do decide to use it be very careful, some of those products expand quiet a bit.

I have heard of some people filling plastic stocks with spray foam, however, how are you going to prevent the foam from blocking the access of the buttstock screw?

If you cannot remove the screw, you cannot field strip the gun for cleaning/repair.

Just a thought, but perhaps you could stick a piece of 1/2 or 3/4" schedule 40 water pipe or something in there over the screw to prevent the foam from blocking the screw. Basically the pvc pipe would be a channel. You'd have to make the pipe long enough so it would stick out of the back of the plastic stock until the foam dried and then cut it off flush so the butt pad would cover everything.

As has already been said, the foam is liable to expand out of the back and need trimmed anyway.

Yes, I know. That is why I would use the low expansion designed for window and door jams. It is not like the regular foam that can bow a 2X4.
Ron

old mossy said:
,,,,,if you do decide to use it be very careful, some of those products expand quiet a bit.

Yes, I would make a jig out of the PVS, coat it with a release agent and place it over the bolt head and then spray around it. The PVS would then be pulled out and a neat channel would be left to remove bolt when needed.
Also, to my knowledge, the removal of the stock has no bearing on cleaning, replacement or field stripping the action action. The stock is an enclosed form and with the bolt in nothing can get into the action unless you know something I overlooked. Ron

John A. said:
I have heard of some people filling plastic stocks with spray foam, however, how are you going to prevent the foam from blocking the access of the buttstock screw?

If you cannot remove the screw, you cannot field strip the gun for cleaning/repair.

Just a thought, but perhaps you could stick a piece of 1/2 or 3/4" schedule 40 water pipe or something in there over the screw to prevent the foam from blocking the screw. Basically the pvc pipe would be a channel. You'd have to make the pipe long enough so it would stick out of the back of the plastic stock until the foam dried and then cut it off flush so the butt pad would cover everything.

As has already been said, the foam is liable to expand out of the back and need trimmed anyway.

I was speaking more for the pistol grip versions because that's what I have and am used to, but the buttstock of those covers a portion of the rear trigger assembly and has to be removed before the whole assembly can be lifted out. And obviously, the internals of the 500 cannot be removed unless the trigger guard is removed.

But if you have a standard style plastic stock, the stock doesn't have to be taken off.

Sorry for the brain fart.

It didn't cross my mind that not everyone has the pistol gripped stocks.

No Problem. That is the problem with the interent/modern communications. Sometimes it is difficult to convey what is being evisioned. I miss the gool old days!
Being retired and suffering from my back issues, have too much time to think about these mods. I turned my tractor over in June and rebroke a rib that I broke 2 years ago, so I am not sure I even want to shoot a 12 guage yet. I have not even had the opportunity o shoot my new 50515 yet.
WOnder if the foam would even be worth it or not. not sure if I would gain anything by it. Toyr opinion? Ron

you could always drill or cut a hole down there after you spray, just make sure you don't drill too far. If you screw it up I have a polymer stock I will send you for free if you pay for shipping.

Hello
I did not use the spray foam. What I did do was the following.
I took some closed cell foam and cut into pieces and then packed them in tightly unti I got this to the end. Now the stock is solid sounding, no change in balance and best of all, I can always remove the foam and it will not leave any trace behind.
If you need to deaden the hollow stock sound, you should give this method a chance. Ron

Honestly, I like the hollow stock.

You can store things in there - like extra ammo - tools - batteries - cleaning supplies - etc.

Though I would definitely fill it with easily removable packing foam before I used any spray adhesive types.

Back