• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SPX owners, what do you shoot at the range?

When you go to the range, do you shoot clays or is the barrel too short for that? I know that the 930 was not made for that but I would like to give it a shot.

So what do you shoot at the range?

The first mossberg 930spx i had, i put about 200 rounds of sporting clays shells...just to break it in, and to see if it will handle that light of a load...I gotta admit it looked weird, but oh well it was fun shooting clays with no choke and short barrel.

At my indoor range, they only allow slugs from shotguns...no bird shot or buck shot....its a bummer.

Enjoy your spx....

i always save my bleach jugs, milk jugs and 2 liter bottles and fill them with water and hit them with slugs so i can watch them burst with a smile on my face.

i also shoot clays since this is my only shotgun and all i can say is that it works. fun times for everyone. do what feels good. don't be shy.

bucket shot and slugs at IDPA tagets

target loads and steel poppers and the plate rack when we all get together

I had my 18.5 inch barrel on my 930 combo drilled and taped for chokes. I use a full and enjoy shooting clays. Mounted a red dot sight, which helps with a short barrel. Use 7 1/2 shot.

Haven't been to the range yet but I plan to shoot 2-3 rounds of skeet then go to 00 buck and slugs to see how it shoots. I have a Streamlight that I may try out on it for the heck of it.

I’m going to give clays a try just for the fun of it. I think I’m going to save up for the 28” barrel at some point but for now I’ll shoot the 18.

I wish I could bring water filled jugs to the range, that sounds like a good way to have some fun and get used to what your 930 will do. We have a nice state run outdoor range that only cost $3 for the day but I don’t think the jugs are allowed, at least I’ve never seen anyone shoot them.

Back