• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

staining question that i need help on

Thx old mossy....
I'm still debating the top coat on it. Thought about a polyurethane clear satin, but I don't know if its really needed on it for it being a gun stock and not so much a piece of furniture used everyday.
Are there benefits of putting one on vice not? I'm really liking the way it looks as is.
Then again this is my first gun stock I have ever refinished and don't really know everything I need to on doing this.

Man, I like the natural look with just the stain... personally I think poly would distract from that. I guess it would depend on how often and where your wife will be using the gun. Maybe just a couple of coats of linseed could do as well, would provide some waterproofing but still keep the natural grain and texture. Great job BTW!

There are several different sheen of polyurethane.

If you're wanting something really fancy, use gloss. If you're wanting it about average, use semi gloss or satin.

If you want it to look really bland, use matte/flat.

But I would seal the wood with something though.

If you don't, when it's in the gun cabinet after cleaning and oil seeps out (like they always do) and runs down the stock, if it's not sealed, the stock will soak up the oil and will stain it darker in that area and always be visible if you don't.

Just my 2 cents, but I think you should seal it with something.

Thanks guys I appreciate the compliments and the advice on sealing it.
I like the look of it as is so will probably go with a satin sealant as I don't really want a glossy look.

John--- thx for the tip about the oil, I didn't even think of that and I know I wont like the oil seeping in and causing dark marks on it later on.....especially after how long it took me just to get the original stain off and the extended dry time it has taken so far to get to finishing it.

OK..... Well I finally sealed the wood in a satin polyurethane, as I didn't want it to take away from the natural look. Had no teal time frame on it but I just wanted to take my time and do it right since it was the first time doing wood furniture on a gun. :D
Now that I gave it a few days to dry I finaly got it all done and back together.

I'll post a link here to the new thread I do on it tomorrow with a start to finish and pics of course. :cool:

Link to the finished woodwork.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8497&p=113184#p113184

Back