• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Static buildup in powder hoppers

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Any suggestions for getting rid of static in plastic powder hoppers?

My Lee Load-All has a lot of static buildup where powder granules stick to the inside of the hopper when I empty it.

I have heard rubbing a dryer sheet in the hopper and even storing a dryer sheet suspended in the hopper will help remove it, but after several days, it has not.

Anyone try Pledge furniture polish on a rag and wipe the inside of the hopper down (not soak or spray directly in it, just a wipe down with a paper towel).

Other suggestions.

First thing that popped into my head was "fabric softener sheet" but I don't know if that would leave a residue nor if it would work. Maybe "Endust" or something like that? Again, might leave a residue. PS: IIRC, Endust does not contain "wax" as Pledge does.

I use dryer sheets. I do not know about storing with them, but before using my powder measure, scale pan or powder funnel, I wipe them down and no more static problem.

Wonder if some type of a ground strap to the loading bench, or wall would help? Thats just a total shot in the dark. As ive not really tried to combat the static, i just shake the $hit out of my dispenser to get it all out

I tried the dryer sheet thing before on my MEC's, did Squat for static, then I finally ran a ground wire from my loaders to the cold water pipe in the basement.
I have very little static build up since then.

How about some anti-static spray (link)?

You could even make your own (link).

I haven't started reloading yet, but I don't see why either one of these wouldn't work.

How about some anti-static spray (link)?

You could even make your own (link).

I haven't started reloading yet, but I don't see why either one of these wouldn't work.

I would not want to risk contaminating the powder with a liquid and am unsure if applying this to the outside would eliminate static within the hopper

I would not want to risk contaminating the powder with a liquid and am unsure if applying this to the outside would eliminate static within the hopper

I'm sorry. I thought it was a given that you wouldn't use the pieces until they dried.

In the case of the make your own, the fabric softener provides a conductive coating after the water evaporates. The alcohol is added to make the water evaporate faster.

I'm sorry. I thought it was a given that you wouldn't use the pieces until they dried.

In the case of the make your own, the fabric softener provides a conductive coating after the water evaporates. The alcohol is added to make the water evaporate faster.

My comments were in response to the anti-static spray. I did not see any reference to making dryer sheets in the links provided.

I used a generic furniture polish, though is mostly like pledge.

I wiped the inside of the hopper down with the damp paper towel, and afterwards, wiped it down with a dry paper towel twice.

There is no liquid remaining, and it is smooth as it can be. Not sure if there is any more static because I wiped out all the remaining granules from the last time.

I always just kinda reach up and give a thump with my finger nail, knocks it all down mostly whats left isn't even a fraction of a charge BUT that's with the MEC bottles.

It will get better as you coat the powder hopper with powder dust. Like plastic funnels for reloading. Always static till they get that coating of "perma"powder ....don't clean it off its " seasoning"

I'm getting a lot more than "perma powder".

There was enough flakes to load a 22 with staying in there.

Didn't want a bunch of different powders mixing into my charges.

My lee perfect powder measure empties completely. No static whatsoever. Really not sure why the load all is any different. Other than being smoke color instead of red tint.

My comments were in response to the anti-static spray. I did not see any reference to making dryer sheets in the links provided.

Well that's good because I never said anything about making dryer sheets. You make the spray and use it to mist the parts that you have a static problem with, let them dry, & then start reloading.

I'm getting a lot more than "perma powder"..

understood, everyone gets a couple stragglers too bad with the load all you cant just take off a bottle or a hopper and tap it out before switching powder like a MEC or independent powder measurer , especially if there is shot in the other compartment and or you have it bolted down ......

Really not sure why the load all is any different. Other than being smoke color instead of red tint.
its the plastic bushings and charge bar.......the "rubbing" of the powder as it passes through plastic bushing creates static and the movement of the plastic charge bar as well.

The fine powder dust that looks like graphite will coat the hopper, inside of the bushing and charge bar,will make it better.

The more you rub on it and try to get rid of the static the longer you will have to wait for it to get better

understood, everyone gets a couple stragglers too bad with the load all you cant just take off a bottle or a hopper and tap it out before switching powder like a MEC or independent powder measurer , especially if there is shot in the other compartment and or you have it bolted down ......

That is a real problem. I've considered cutting out a piece of cardboard to cover the shot compartment while emptying the powder compartment.

They could easily make a lid that would snap down over one side or the other just to address that. Even something as simple as a butter bowl lid would work.

its the plastic bushings and charge bar.......the "rubbing" of the powder as it passes through plastic bushing creates static and the movement of the plastic charge bar as well.

The fine powder dust that looks like graphite will coat the hopper, inside of the bushing and charge bar,will make it better.

The more you rub on it and try to get rid of the static the longer you will have to wait for it to get better

Understood. But isn't doing my OCD any favors.

I may end up getting a mec one of these days. I know it's a better mousetrap, but just isn't in the cards right now and the lee will have to make due.

well, maybe not exactly in that order, but yeah, that's pretty close.

Any suggestions for getting rid of static in plastic powder hoppers?

My Lee Load-All has a lot of static buildup where powder granules stick to the inside of the hopper when I empty it.

I have heard rubbing a dryer sheet in the hopper and even storing a dryer sheet suspended in the hopper will help remove it, but after several days, it has not.

Anyone try Pledge furniture polish on a rag and wipe the inside of the hopper down (not soak or spray directly in it, just a wipe down with a paper towel).

Other suggestions.

Static Guard is available at any supermarket and maybe dollar stores. WalMart and Amazon also. In the Laundry section is where you will find it. Dries very fast and lasts a long time on the sprayed surface.

Back