• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Status of NRA in the fight

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
While I have not been overly happy with the NRA's efforts lately I was glad to read the article below. I haven't seen or heard a lot publicly from them I believe they are doing what they do best...behind the scene influence in DC. While the anti gunners seem to have planned this all out I think the NRA has prepped for years to counter the attack.

NRA Winning the Influence Battle Over Gun Control

The gun control debate is clearly one of the most contentious and controversial issues in America today. And the battle over gun control is now being waged through intensive media campaigns from both sides of the political spectrum to influence public opinion and to assert pressure on policy makers. So who’s winning? To find out, we turned to objective data provided exclusively to Forbes Insights by Appinions, the influence marketing platform. Keep in mind Forbes Insights has no agenda other than to shed research light on the process of measuring influence and what we can learn from it. The facts are objective, whatever your perspective on the issue may be. We certainly don’t aim to promote either side and are just stating the facts of influence and who is leading or gaining ground through the lens of influence.
Forbes Insights and Appinions looked at the data for the week prior to the Sandy Hook tragedy and trended the data over the subsequent 5 weeks to determine the ebb and flow over the gun control debate. We found that the NRA and the pro-gun rights voices are winning the influence battle and will continue to be strong and more influential if the pro gun control voice remains fragmented. On the flip side, the pro gun control voice could certainly gain influence if they establish a more united voice. Here are some other interesting observations from the data:
Republican politicians are missing from the debate.
It’s a Marathon, not a sprint. It seems the NRA has the stamina to out-run the pro-gun control movement. They are persistent, un-yielding and gaining influence. It will be interesting to see how the pro-gun control voice responds and how the influence between the two groups changes as the debate persists.
The pro-gun rights voice is rapidly gaining influence while the pro-gun control voice has tapered in recent weeks. Momentum is shifting and the gun control debate is becoming a platform benefiting gun rights advocates.
The pro–gun control group is fragmented whereas the pro-gun rights voice is united and strong. Of the top influencers on the pro-gun rights side, the majority of the most prominent voices are from the NRA. The pro-gun control voice is split between Obama and several gun control advocacy groups which dilutes the message.

Good post Mike, thanks! I was just lamenting I hadn't heard anything positive or publically that the NRA was goin after this stuff aggressively enough.

That's what I thought too and I was glad to read they are in the fight. I think they know that if they are railing to publicly it will be used against them as "unyielding gun nuts". It will also help the anti's keep it as an emotional issue. Time will work to our advantage. The NRA isn't perfect and like it or not they are the major gun power broker for us.

Like I said, I could see the DC efforts failing for the most part but that stinkin' UN treaty keeps popping up in my head. It will be back.

i honestly think the NRA is doing ok in washington,but i can't understand why they aren't on top of what is going on in NY.
i don't think much will pass in DC........unless bama does his exec.order tricks.

just my dimes worth.

carbinemike said:
The pro–gun control group is fragmented whereas the pro-gun rights voice is united and strong. Of the top influencers on the pro-gun rights side, the majority of the most prominent voices are from the NRA. The pro-gun control voice is split between Obama and several gun control advocacy groups which dilutes the message.

so sure are they....
Analyze that statement...pro gun voice is united and strong. I have personally talked to gun owners where this is not true, we dwell the internet and read what other gun owners post about this, how about that Buckeye organization that refuses to join the fight, aren’t they claiming to be pro gun ? Are they not a large grass roots organization? I can use a lot of words to describe it but generally speaking unity isn’t one as it pertains to gun owners .

Of the top influencers on the pro-gun side, the majority of the most prominent voices are from the NRA.

The most prominent voices I have heard?
The voices of the speakers at the capitals, the voices at the CT hearings , the voices in Buffalo NY in WM's post, the voices of the Sheriffs of Oregon and other states telling the President that we won’t do it , not only that but we won’t let you do it either.
Now that’s people for the people, that’s sand I can get behind because that comes from the heart......our voices on MO come from the heart, at least the very few of us here willing to express our opinions..........
the voice I hear from the NRA "hi, we need more money"

The pro-gun control voice is split between Obama and several gun control advocacy groups which dilutes the message

This is a dangerous train of thought this statement breeds complacency, its better not to try to belittle your opponent, it’s better to inflate them ,so people don’t become complacent, several groups and the POTUS….no little thing
Our message is just as diluted. I read about squabbles online , people arguing over Friday the 8th being stupid because there won’t be any parking....PARKING !...20 people arguing because they have to walk 5 blocks to the capital to defend their gun rights...eff em in the A I say, we don’t need you !...the message is so diluted on our side that the military surplus store owner is more worried about the smoking senate bill, different people from different disciplines of shooting are all taking it differently, some aren’t alarmed at all.....but yet pro gun one and all

Sorry to be a Debbie downer you all but I live in a different world than the NRA….if this turns out to be a bluff on the Govs part and nothing gets “banned” the NRA will be heralded as the saviors of the Second, but I know it was us, the people as John says “reminding the politicians they are outnumbered”, the Sheriffs….the capital rallies, the letters wrote….I haven’t wrote on person in opposition of the 2A, I wrote all the people on our side telling them they have my support and a lot of good people are behind them , because that gives them strength……and it goes a long way when they know the have the people behind them…..with guns lol

Sorry to be a Debbie downer you all but I live in a different world than the NRA
No downer Oli. You're entitled to your opinion and your points are all very good as usual.

The pro-gun control voice is split between Obama and several gun control advocacy groups which dilutes the message
This is a dangerous train of thought this statement breeds complacency, its better not to try to belittle your opponent,
What I posted was written by Forbes. I don't think anyone under estimates the "enemies" in this fight or the tricks they may employ to get what they want.

but I know it was us, the people as John says “reminding the politicians they are outnumbered”, the Sheriffs….the capital rallies, the letters wrote….
I agree...I am impressed as hell with the grass roots efforts. What all the good people on here are doing is great. I like the feeling of doing something to try and make a difference.

I'll stick by my comment though that the NRA is working the back halls in DC and I think that's what the excell at.

NY seems like a set up from the get go. I tried to look what the NRA is doing there but didn't come up with anything newer than at least a week old. I will guess that they will fight that one in the courts...it will take years.

I think they are doing well too but I think they are just branch in the tree of liberty that hopefully dosent get diseased with power and have to be cut off the trunk, Is the people that truly hold the power, most of us don’t know it.

Back