• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

stock?

i just bought a maverick 88 and after getting it home and together i found the stock is a little to long for me. what is the cheapest way to get a shorter stock? thanks

First thing you need to do is measure your LOP length of pull.
LOP measurement.jpg

Once you have that you can measure up a stock.

lop2.jpg

Cheapest way is cutting the stock you have now and putting on a slipon LimbSaver.

I've cut wooden and synthetic stocks with no problem.

i'm 5ft 6

Alright. Next question...

How attractive do you want this revisionist stock to look? Cheap can be done somewhat readily with little investment, but making your shotgun look like nobody eff'ed with it might take more time and cash.

A slip-on recoil pad that fits correctly over a cut down stock looks like, well, an aftermarket recoil pad slid over a home modded shortened stock. But it would work.

Alright. Next question...

How attractive do you want this revisionist stock to look? Cheap can be done somewhat readily with little investment, but making your shotgun look like nobody eff'ed with it might take more time and cash.

A slip-on recoil pad that fits correctly over a cut down stock looks like, well, an aftermarket recoil pad slid over a home modded shortened stock. But it would work.

i just want it to work and last. a recoil pad i have checked on are $22 to $35, i found an adjustable stock thats used but everything with it fot $20 or new for $35. how do these adjustable stocks hold up? recoil from slugs is rough and i do plan to deer hunt with this gun. thanks

Can you find a link to one of the new stocks like the used one you found? We could eliminate a lot of guesswork if we knew the specifics of the collapsible.

Can you find a link to one of the new stocks like the used one you found? We could eliminate a lot of guesswork if we knew the specifics of the collapsible.[/QUO

i don't know how to post link, but the new ones are on ebay for $34.95 free shipping i don't remember if i put in maverick 88 stock or mossberg 500 to get them pulled up on ebay, the used one at a local shop looks just like them.

I'm sorry, I don't know which stock you're asking about. But if you have one available and it seems OK, it likely is.

Collapsible stocks (if they're made well) won't have any problem handling the recoil of 12 gauge stocks.

But again, without knowing any specifics, is still a guess.

Collapsible stocks vary GREATLY in quality- A $20-$30 stock usually doesn't have the correct fit and finish around the psitol grip (in my experience) and they are rough around the edges. If you find a decent one, you may be able to get an AR15 style rubber pad to screw onto it and you have the best of both worlds- adjustable LOP and a rubber buttpad.

Personally, I like wood stocks.

Back