• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

stovepipe galore

secarob

Copper BB
Has anyone come up with a fix for the stovepipe issue where the spent round gets hung up on the feeding round causing a jam? The gun has been cleaned a couple of times and happens no matter what ammo or which of my 25 round magazines I use.

Bought it for my son a year ago and we have yet to have a good day at the range with it.

Thanks

That rifle may NEED high velocity .22LR ammo to function correctly. As it "wears" in, it may become less finicky...

Standard velocity ammo may not force the bolt back quick enough or far enough to properly eject spent casings.

Standard velocity, high velocity CCI, American Eagle, Remmington, Federal it does not matter what you put in it. Copper plated and plain lead no difference

We may have 500 problematic rounds thru it so I would think it's broken in by now

The gun has been cleaned a couple of times

The issue may be how you clean it? I just looked at my 715T and checked the bolt action. I have cleaned/swabbed the barrel after every shooting and wiped out the chamber but I haven't thoroughly cleaned mine or oiled it. Apparently one would have to completely disassemble the action (damn near the entire gun!) to thoroughly clean & lube the rifle? You might be able to spray some bore cleaner, I would double check that it doesn't have an adverse effect on the plastic & then a light dose of lube. Since I haven't had a stovepipe issue, I haven't delved into the workings of the 715T but if I do have an issue, this would be the first "fix" I would try.
Hope this helps.

Did some looking on other posts here and watched some vids on youtube....check those out and see if any of the "fixes" described might work for ya'.

Last edited:
I wish it were that easy. When I say clean it I mean that I have taken the rifle all the way down and all the parts cleaned and lubed. I think i will call Mossberg today and see if they have anything to say.

thanks for the input

I think i will call Mossberg today and see if they have anything to say.

Some here may have the # for Joe Zakher (I don't, sorry). He is MO's "inside guy" at Mossberg. Maybe search his name?

It has been a while since I had a 715T so I forget the inner workings. After you talk to Mossberg, maybe another takedown and polish the bolt and inner receiver areas. Not metal removal but the cleaning of any sharpies and sanding with 600+ grit or similar.

I'm new to this forum, and to owning a 715t. I recently acquired my 715t at a local gun show and took it to the range. About every 3 to four shots the round in the breach would not fire. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone else? What did you have to do to remedy the problem? Thanks in advance for any help you may share!

PaPa: There are several videos on YOUTUBE that address the stovepipe & FTF issues. Check them out, they are very helpful. Since you purchased the gun at a gun show, my first suggestion would be to completely disassemble the rifle & clean/lube it. Again, if you need help, check the videos, they show how to completely disassemble your 715T. Hope this helps.

I have not contacted Mossberg yet so i might just look into the youtube videos. PaPa if you get yours working let me know - i'll do the same

OK, secarob. I watched some YouTube videos and fully cleaned and lubed the rifle. I also cleaned and oiled the 4 25 rd mags I bought and loaded them like a couple of guys suggested before I go to the range next week. Let me know what you find. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update: Sorry it's been a while but Joseph sent me a new bolt assembly and now I am down to 2-3 stove pipes per 100 rounds. Happy with the 715T for now and plan to do a little buffing next time I have it tore down

Update: Sorry it's been a while but Joseph sent me a new bolt assembly and now I am down to 2-3 stove pipes per 100 rounds. Happy with the 715T for now and plan to do a little buffing next time I have it tore down
Completely tore down rifle and took it to a gunsmith to check out. He could not find a direct problem, and he thoroughly cleaned and oiled every moving part. Took it to the range and shot about 20 rounds before it started all over again. 4 to 5 rounds...stovepipe. 4 to 5 rounds...stovepipe...etc. VERY FRUSTRATED WITH THIS RIFLE!

Get in touch with Joseph at the email address above. The new bolt has made the 715T a lot better gun. One note that the few stove pipes I do get are while using non plated ammo.
I understand your frustration. Bought it for my son but the first year he had it it was junk. We put about 200 rounds thru it yesterday with 3 stove pipes so I can live with that

I know this thread is pretty old but I wanted to share my recent stovepipe problem and solution with my 715t. I bought it in '13 and it worked fine never seemed to have a problem with any type of ammo in the first couple years, but I stopped using it until last year when my daughter started shooting, IMO the collapsible stock is perfect for young shooters, but for some reason now it was getting very frequent stove pipes and FTE, which was very annoying to have to keep clearing them out for her. I tried everything I could find on the net for suggestions like the ones in this thread, ie; 10+ different types of ammo, very thorough cleaning, polished the carrier and guide, changed the angle on the guide to help the ejection, took the extractor out and cleaned/polished it as well, it was still having the same problem at least 1-3 times per mag. I couldn't find anyone suggesting a problem with the extractor spring, but I felt it was a likely cause of the problem since many times the spent case would just lay in the receiver right next to the half chambered new round, it just seemed like the extractor wasn't holding the rim of the case on its exit from the chamber. So I started looking for a new extractor spring (the tiny 3mm dia spring behind the pivot point of the extractor on the side of the bolt carrier), I couldn't even find a exact replacement online, so I ordered a spring kit from MidwayUSA and it had a spring with a 3mm diameter that was a bit stiffer, but I needed to cut it down to fit the pocket behind the extractor, turned out to be piece of cake and after it was all back together again it definitely had much more force against the shell. When we went to the range to test it out, I was a bit let down to have a stove pipe half way thru the first mag, but we pushed on and tried another mag, but this time no stove pipes, then another, and another, we probably went thru 10+ mags with no more FTE or stovepipe. We didn't even clean the rifle before we went back again the following week and shot another 10+ mags with no stovepipes at alll!!! Iwas shocked after all the problems we had to fix it with a 3mm spring. I know It may be to soon to say it's 100% fixed, but we went from multiple FTE's in each mag to none in 20, I would have to say the spring was the problem. My presumption is the extractor spring on these rifles gets weak over time (mine just went bad sitting) and just starts to fail since it doesn't have enough force to hold on to the rim. I was very close to giving up on it and replacing it with a m&p15-22, but now I'm very happy with it and I have some extra springs ready to go.

...but now I'm very happy with it and I have some extra springs ready to go.

Glad to hear you got it sorted and thanks for posting the solution! Welcome Aboard! :)

PS: There used to be a certain procedure while loading the 30rd mags that involved tapping them on the backside to get all the rounds snuggled nicely...

Back